Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Meal Planning

Do you ever have an idea for posting that has great appeal but you are just too lazy to organize? Yes, my hand is raised.

The idea, not mine, came from The Pie Patch. I have long been a fan of Lucy’s site while she was still blogging. One of the posts I loved was called Lucy’s List where she detailed the meals the family had for the week. It always gave me good ideas and I have made quite a few of her recipes.

So, yeah, back to the list of meals. I made these things in late November, gathered the photos in hopes I could do a weekly version of my meal plans. This is helpful for a variety of reasons.
1) I see what we have been eating in a regular rotation and
2) it creates a visual when I do future meal planning.

Will I try and do a regular list each week? I don’t know. I take photos it’s just finding the time to sit at the computer and post it.

Monday: Brats with onion, pepper and potatoes

IMG_5043

Tuesday: Roast Chicken with Carrots, onions and mashed potatoes

IMG_5092

Wednesday: leftovers from roasted chicken

Thursday: Oven BBQ chicken with blue lake green beans

IMG_5109

Friday: Takeaway! Oscar’s pizza

IMG_5008

Saturday: Pasta with peas and scallops in a creamy sauce. Salad with tomatoes and mozzarella. (Recipe below)


So that’s only six days. Not a complete fail but….I wonder if I could track this on a regular basis. Couldn’t hurt to try and if it doesn’t work out, not the end of western civilization as we know it. Ha!

Pasta with Scallops and Peas Recipe

Use any veggies you like or whatever is in the fridge. This is a good way to use up those little bits of vegetables which aren’t quite enough for full side servings.

Asparagus, mushrooms, garlic, green onions and sausage. Sautee in olive oil.

Mix a spoonful or two of flour over this mixture, being careful to turn it over so the flour adheres evenly. If you just throw the flour in and then some cream, you will have great big lumps.

Now slowly add cream or half-and-half, stirring to mix. As it thickens you can decide if the sauce is thick or think enough to your personal taste.
Now drizzle in a just a tad of honey. You’d be amazed how tasty this is.

Cook pasta (I used Angel hair) and served creamed mixture over it.

**************************

I am sharing this with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.



Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

18 comments:

  1. You ate well! Everything looks really good. I love the idea of tracking what you ate during the week. I've done a few menu plans but I think the tracking sounds more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah well.... We will see how dedicated I am to tracking in a notebook and taking photos AND posting! Lol 😄

      Delete
  2. Your meals look yummy, I love chicken! I like the idea of making a weekly menu, but I'm not very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I live by my lists and have to have several options for dinner. I'm not super organized but I try :-)

      Delete
  3. I love the idea! I hope you keep it up. I always want to 'keep stuff up' but turn into a lazy ass and cannot keep up. LOL And my weekly photos would be too many restaurant meals.....at least one or two a week. My bad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I get ya, Debbie. I like lists and tracking things but it goes to the wayside. Hoping I can keep up with this one 👍

      Delete
  4. I try very hard to meal plan, but it has gone a little by the way as life is a little crazy. Some recipes re-occur with seasonal frequency. I pick up lots of recipes from Lucy's blog still :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs L, we have many in a regular rotation and I do still get recipes from Lucy. I see why you & she gave up the blogging though. Time consuming.

      Delete
  5. I keep records of my meals ... it's the photography where I fail. I never seem to take that moment to snap a picture.

    Love the idea of a week of meals post ... even just once a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to give it a try although I won't hook up with Weekend Cooking each week.

      Delete
    2. You could! But either way, I'm interested to see what you've got going on in your kitchen

      Delete
  6. I have a spiral notebook for meal planning... am usually pretty good about that. I like to look back and see what we ate, but often it changes and I don't always note that. Would love to see a regular post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I hope to keep up with it but you know....best laid plans!

      Delete
  7. Since I am now in the empty phase of life and my husband travels quite a bit, I have taken the lazy route and just play catch-as-catch-can when it comes to meal planning. However, I know my health has suffered for it.

    2016 is the year I want to cook more at home - and I love your meal planning idea. I will noodle on it between now and January 1st and try to develop a similar system for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are without children now and it's just he two of us most evenings. I like taking leftovers for lunch. A healthy lunch is always good & I avoid our cafeteria fare.

      Delete
  8. Love your pasta dish. Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good idea to photograph meals! Looks like a good week of eating!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........