Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Bow Tie Pasta with Corn, Thyme and Parmesan
{Potluck with Curtis Stone}

It's Potluck time at I ♥ Cooking Club and I think I will stick with Curtis Stone. If you know me you'll know I love Nigella and Nigel .....but Curtis is fast working his way up the ranks as a favorite.

Corn Pasta 2

Pasta is making a limited appearance on our table as we are cutting back on the carbs a bit.
Noooo, not avoiding carbs completely - how I love them - but cutting back is essential right now.

For this week's indulgence we are trying a bucket load of farfalle pasta loaded with fresh corn, onions and gently coated in a lighter version of the called for cream sauce. I cut back on the cream and loaded up on the veggies. Oh yeah......this is going to be a repeat.

This is the amount leftover after one meal. Yikes! Despite me reducing the amount of pasta and sauce it still made a hearty quantity. We had it for dinner two nights and took for lunch during the workweek.

BowTieCasserole

In my opinion, fresh ingredients are essential to the taste of this meal. You could use frozen corn but this dish popped with fresh favors so I will opt for carving the corn fresh for this dish. Next time I am adding cherry tomatoes. Bet that would be good, add some color too.

Corn Pasta 1


Bow Tie Pasta with Corn, Thyme and Parmesan
Curtis Stone's cookbook What's For Dinner

INGREDIENTS
1 pound farfalle pasta, but you coukd use any small pasta. I did not use a pound - too much!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (from about 2 medium shallots)
6 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup white wine
4 large thyme sprigs
2 cups corn kernels
1 cup heavy cream
1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce), plus more for serving
1/4 cup finely chopped chives

INSTRUCTIONS

Bring a pot of generously salted water to a boil then add the pasta. Cook according to the package directions. Easy. Now you can start the sauce.

Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, season with salt and pepper....stir so they don't burn. This will take approximately 3 minutes. Now add the wine and thyme sprigs, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine has reduced by about three-quarters. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.

When the pasta is ready, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, drain, and return the pasta to the pot; set aside.

Ok, back to the sauce. Get the frying pan again and add corn, cream and pepper. Stir gently to combine.
Place the reserved pot of pasta over low heat and pour in the cream-corn mixture. Now douse with cheese, chives and some of the reserved pasta water. Mix it all up.

If you want to add shredded chicken you can change the vegetarian feature of the meal. It's a win if you have a household of meat eaters and vegetarians.

Corn Pasta 3


Check out I ♥ Cooking Club and see what others served up. Also linking up to Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.

Curtis Stone Badge Resized

23 comments:

  1. Yum! I love all things pasta and we're starting to get some really pretty fresh corn here. Plus I love the addition of shallots and white wine to the pasta and cutting back on cream sounds like a good way to save calories. I think this one is going to land on my dinner table pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. Love pasta - I'm making leftover orzo into a frittata for a day at the water park down next to the Dordogne tomorrow.
    We are cutting down too, so tonight cooking turkey steaks in tinfoil packets with mediterranean veggies and serving with griddled potatoes. Maybe a glass of chilled rosé to help the holiday feeling along. If I remember ... photographs on Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've included some fresh corn in some pasta salads this summer and I love the pairing. Pasta is an avenue for so many things and a great summer dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good, and I bet my daughter and her husband would love it. They are pasta nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katherine, I haven't regretted any of the recipes we've made from Curtis' cookbooks. You'll love this if you are a pasta fan.

    Jo, that sounds great. I usually have leftover orzo, one of my favorite pastas, so next time I'll toss it I only a frittata. The water park sounds great for this hot summer.

    Debra, I agree, pasta can be used so many ways and with such great combos,

    Thanks, Vicki, hope they like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tread lightly on carb also. But this dish is a great way to use seasonal and fresh corn. A light creamy sauce works for me too. I like this recipe a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just adore fresh corn and it adds so much to every dish. I love how it looks in this pasta dish. I think you are right--fresh cherry tomatoes would be an excellent addition to the recipe too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flourish, I have been trying to keep the carbs at a minimum but some dishes just scream for it. I feel I will never lose weight but, I know what I need to do.

    Deb, fresh corn makes a huge difference from canned or frozen. Next time I will add the tomatoes and cut back on the pasta a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooohhhh love the sound of this! Too funny that we had pasta last night too, and I too cut back on the amount of the pasta shells used. Ours was based on sausage, fennel, shallots, & white wine, but no cream (though that would have been yummy).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always make too much pasta, no matter how careful i try to be. I just pinned this recipe, I'm going to make it for dinner this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth- I like the sound of your meal too. I'm making things in a skillet or crock lately so the kitchen doesn't heat up.

    Diane- me too, I can't get the pasta measurements right. Always leftovers. I'm just back on Pinterest so I'll check out the boards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Freshly cooked corn cut from its cob is really a treat as everyone seems to agree. Mine this week went into a salad (recipe: chop up everything in the vegetable drawer that's not plastic, sprinkle with lemon juice & oil). But pasta is also a great possibility, as are corn pancakes or whole-kernel cornbread!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love bow tie pasta!

    Now that my husband has to eat gluten free I am making two pots of pasta at least until I have used up what I have in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Curtis (and you) have got a winner here. I'm waiting for the fresh corn to reappear in our market, and will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a big pasta fan, and we have it probably three times a week. I often make it with sautéed vegetables or pesto. One of life's great foods. I have found the ones from Italy really are better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect for all the fresh corn I'm seeing lately. I love how versatile this is. I can see this with tomatoes and chicken, as you mentioned. I can even see it with spinach too! Fun recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simple and delicious. Do you think the shape of the pasta changes the taste??? Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just reduce the carbs for supper, from lunch time I have a lot of time to burn the carbohydrates ;-). This sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a perfect pasta dish for summer with all of that lovely fresh corn. Tomatoes would be a delicious addition to it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks good! Using fresh sweet corns sounds great! And yes to the addition of tomatoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Goodness, but this looks good. Light, tasty, refreshing. We are also cutting back on carbs. Have you dried Dreamfields pasta. Low carb but good taste. And White Fiber, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........