Sunday, November 19, 2017

Fish Chowder to warm your bones

Quite a while back we decided to make a fish stew, the Mediterranean style with tomatoes. It was good but I have been craving a milk based version so.....here it is. Once again we saved leftover grilled fish. This is great for saving money as well as having a variety of white firm fish in the chowder.

Evidently if you make a milk or cream based soup it's called chowder. I learned this surfing the web for different takes on the "recipe."


fishChowder

Easy as can be and it made a great dinner. I had made a baguette earlier in the day just to go with this chowder, splendid combination and definitely comfort food. Next time we may make it a seafood chowder and toss in some bay scallops.

Fish Chowder

2 cups onions
1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
1/2 cup white wine (optional - we used Chardonnay)
3 peeled and chunked Yukon potatoes
a bay leaf, salt and pepper
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1 1/2 cups cream (or Half-n-Half)
1 1/2 pounds white firm fish

Method

Saute onions in olive oil or butter. When they are soft add wine and turn up the heat until it reduces. Add potatoes and seasonings. The potatoes should be barely covered as they simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Since I didn't have enough wine left to cover them I used vegetable broth. You could use chicken broth if you'd rather.

Heat the cream in a separate pot, be careful not to boil. By the way, Half-n-Half will boil quicker than real cream - consider that a warning! Just get it to steamy, not simmer and definitely not boiling. Now add the cream and the fish to the potato mix and cook another 10 minutes.

That's it. Add salt and pepper to your taste once it's served. This is a good chowder, we will be making it again.


I am sharing this with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series and Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series. Click HERE to see this week's linkup.


FullSizeRender (5)

8 comments:

  1. Seems like an easy recipe. My son loves chowder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s very easy and I would highly recommend it. Very filling too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chowder seems to be an all-purpose word -- there's clam chowder (red for Manhattan, white for Boston). There's corn chowder. Your chowder, which must be delicious. And so on. I suspect that Old Bay seasoning is essential, too. I just read a history of it but I can't remember where!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been craving fish chowder and this looks delicious. I am a huge fan of Old Bay Seasoning in chowders and a lot of things. ;-)
    Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet this was delicious with a warm baguette!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There used to be a restaurant near me that made the absolute best clam chowder. It was the very best thing when I was cold to the bone and starving. I'm still a little unsure about fish but I'll keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to use up leftover fish. Creamy chowder with Old Bay sounds like a great way to warm up on a winter's evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen Old Bay seasoning.... Will have to check it out. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........