Saturday, May 29, 2021

The RV "Kitchen" update

We are still living in the RV and I wanted to share some of meals we have made recently.

This is a big pot of noodles, ground beef, tomatoes, onions, garlic, tomato sauce and cheeses.  I added some oregano and basil too. This made enough for two dinners and a hearty lunch.  Easy to cook on the camp stove but I opted to make this inside the RV on the stovetop.

It's been incredibly hot and when the sun bakes the area where we set up the grill and camp kitchen, I move indoors.


 Grilled chicken with sautéed potatoes and peas 



I ran out of an unoaked Chardonnay I enjoy but the Piggly Wiggly in Donaldsonville Georgia had this Chardonnay -  it's not bad.


Here's a grilled burger with tomato, cheese and onion trimmings for one of our lunches.






It's been fun when we can get a site by the lake but a few things happened which make us realize we could never be full timers and live on the road. First of all we have enough living space for the short trips this was intended for, meaning under a week.  

The moving around isn't too bad and we make a great team packing things up and moving from site to site as we can get reservations. This means we will move after 4 days and go to the dump station (no full sewer hookups) then to another campsite within the same park. 

We enjoy sitting out under the awning and reading, people watching or staring at the lake. Unfortunately our awning is now broken so that avenue of pleasure is over for the duration of the trip. The wind ripped off part of one arm so...alas, when it's full sun dead on, we have to stay indoors. 

We are treating ourselves to  cabin rental this upcoming week so that will be marvelous.  A screened porch will be much appreciated!  More on that later.

I hope everyone has had a good week and are enjoying a safe and fun Memorial Day.

Sharing with Marg at the Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking and Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sunday.




 


16 comments:

  1. I've never been a camper. Give me a hotel room if I'm on vacation. I once went camping in the Girl Scouts and we had little tents that we had to put up - it poured the entire weekend and we were drenched. That was my one and only camping experience. The Pasta Pompei looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, thanks for the positve comment about the pasta pompeii.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you are eating well even in cramped conditions! I am not really a camper myself. I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marg. It's been mostly fun but I do look forward to using an oven again :-)

      Delete
  3. You are eating very well indeed, despite the awning and the cramped quarters. That cabin will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR - we are looking forward to the cabin! It still has a great lake view and a screened porch so, no mosquitos.

      Delete
  4. I've been trying to talk my kids into either buying or renting a camper or cabin, but they haven't agreed yet. I'd like to have a cabin on a lake because I lived in a house on a lake when I was a kid and loved it. We also had a camper we used in the summer going to different campsites and I went camping when I was a Girl Scouts too. I'm loving these camping posts of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, it's been mostly fun! We have enough room for the 6 weeks we need to stay in it but I do look forward to getting home eventually.
      A cottage on the lake would be amazing.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you are having a lot of fun and a lot of good food! Thanks for sharing your burgers with Souper Sundays this week! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your updates remind me so much of our year of volunteering with NPS! Everything looks great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, thank you. It's not been too challenging cooking using only a camp stove and grill.

      Delete
  7. Obviously being in the camper isn't slowing down your cooking game!! Enjoy the cabin this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn. I am sooo looking forward to the new oven when it's installed at home.

      Delete
  8. On our recent birding trip, our guide made a number of field meals without a stove at all, and we were quite impressed at his ingenuity. Like his chicken salad from canned chicken, raisins, a chopped apple, and bottled poppyseed dressing was surprisingly good. However, your cooking on a stove or grill looks really ideal, and I think you have more fun and relax more than we birders did.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, that is impressive he made chicken salad that way. Kudos to his ingenuity! I would love seeing those birds though.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........