Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Half Baked Harvest and Curtis Stone .....
Baked chicken with creamy potatoes VS Mushroom Risotto

 We are saying goodbye to Tieghan Gerard at  I Heart Cooking Club. I felt like I ought to cook one of her recipes as it's her last week here but....haven't had too much luck with some of the meals.  This is a Half Baked Harvest recipe called baked chicken with creamy potatoes. We didn't like it. Some people have tried this and did like it but we didn't.  Almost didn't bother with posting as it's a fail.


The recipe looked marvelous and called for heavy cream, sage, new potatoes, Dijon and wine.  What's not to like?  The sage.  Defintely the sage and Dijon fought. Maybe something else didn't meld right either but - unsalvageable.


Let's move on to the winner of my Kitchen March Madness.  Curtis Stone moves to the win with Mushroom Risotto!


As you can see above I used an unoaked Chardonnay for both recipes.
Lots of different mushrooms and loads of chives.



Mushroom Risotto with Fresh Herbs Ingredients:

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 large portobello mushroom caps (about 10 ounces total), dark gills scraped out with a spoon, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1 1/4 pounds assorted mushrooms, such as oyster, maitake, and bunashimeji, trimmed
2 large sprigs of fresh thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or as needed
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus grated or shaved cheese for serving
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

I would happily make this again and Doug said it was the best risotto I ever made.  You can't go wtong with Curtis Stone recipes.


The next chef featured at I Heart Cooking Club will be Dorie Greenspan.  Looking forward to perusing her recipes.

Sharing with

Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking

I Heart Cooking Club for Potluck




18 comments:

  1. Wasting good ingredients on a dish that doesn't come out to your taste is really bad, sorry you had to experience this. I guess in the future you will avoid that combination.

    The mushrooms sound fabulous! I wish I had bought the mixed box at Costco instead of just brown shrooms!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I do hate wasting food and will using repurpose parts of the meal if I can but the flavors were too mingled. Yea to the mixed box of mushrooms you got. I love the mixed ones with Shiitake, oyster and bellas.

      Delete
  2. Oh, too bad about the baked chicken and creamy potatoes! I've had several hits from Tieghan Gerard's cookbook and my sister has tried even more recipes than I have. You've mention Curtis Stone's recipes before... I really need to try one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, We love Curtis and the Brazilian Chicken recipe of his is on the table here tonight. I did like Tieghan's cheesy bread and that was a hit.

      Delete
  3. Yes that's so sad about the potatoes and chicken. The pic looks yummy but sage and rosemary are herbs I need to be careful with. But yay to wine and risotto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I keep a Chardonnay around to use for cooking and it never lets me down.

      Delete
  4. Bummer about the chicken and potato recipe! Hopefully, it wasn't too involved. I've snipped the risotto recipe to try and will adapt it to my recipe, which calls for cooking the risotto in the oven rather than stirring on a stove top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I have been intrigued by your oven baked risotto. Curtis Stone never gets it wrong. We love his books.

      Delete
  5. I have to agree with you on the HBH recipes. The first few I tried went well, after that, not so much. Sometimes I think she goes a little over the top with flavor and uses way too many flavor components. Then other times I think it's just a pretty picture for Instagram.

    Glad to see that Curtis Stone is coming to the rescue! High praise from Doug on that risotto. Looks glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,Curtis Stone never disappoints. It's clear he tests the recipes and we love all of it. I think I won't bother with the HBH anymore. There are loads of chefs at IHCC to choose from and I am looking forward to trying Dorie Greenspan's recipes as well.

      Delete
  6. I remember when Curtis Stone showed up on TLC in Take Home Chef in 2006. I think of this as my first celebrity chef show that I watched. Of course, now I am addicted to all of these shows.
    John bought me one of his cookbooks last year for my birthday, I don't think I have cooked anything from it yet. Will pull it out today!
    I love risotto but have never made it.
    I think it was the sage that threw the balance off your dish. I never use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, maybe it was the sage but something didn't play well with the other ingredients. I've never seen Curtis on a cooking show bit would like to see that. I was thrilled to see the British Baking show when we flew back from Omaha.

      Delete
  7. Your risotto sounds amazing. My husband would love anything with mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Melynda, I love everything with mushrooms. These mixed ones really made the risotto special.

      Delete
  9. We love mushrooms, and baked risottos, so I think we too would like to adapt the recipe to make it a baked risotto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, I keep meaning to try the baked risotto.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........