Friday, April 08, 2022

Wine, cheese, tomatoes and black bean enchiladas

I don't have a great deal of new items for the In My Kitchen post this month.  A highlight was this cheese. Dorothy's Diggin' Truffles was a treat.  We were shopping at Publix and the young lady stocking the cheese section heard us talking about what we might want to pick up.  Doug said it would be nice to find a washed rind cheese.  She snapped her head up at us and started chatting excitedly about different cheeses.


We commiserated about not finding any Chaumes cheese in years and so, she decided we were "cool" and wanted to share this Dorothy's truffle cheese with us.  She's put it aside for herself but offered it to us if we'd like to try it.  What a sweet girl!  



In the wine department I tried this Malbec, new to me, and liked it.

An extension of the kitchen is a tiny garden of tomatoes.  This one looks like it has promise and it's close to the house so....maybe deer won't destroy this plant as they've done in the past. The squash plant is thriving but I don't want to curse it so, no photos yet.


Last buy not least are these vegetarian enchiladas.  It's a simple toss together dinner as long as you don't mind an assembly line of ingredients on your table or counter.



Prepare rice (I used a short grain) then let cool a bit. Mix one can of black beans and one can of refried black beans together. Place shredded cheddar (or a taco mix sort of cheese) in a bowl. I used a canned enchilada sauce for convenience but of course you could make your own.

Set up the line of ingredients and open a large sized flour tortilla. Use a large plate and you can have two tortillas open at once for filling. Simply place a bit of enchilada sauce in the bottom of your baking dish.  Now spoon a tablespoon or so on the tortilla. Add rice then a layer of black bean mix then cheese.  Roll up, place in pan and repeat until you have six in the baking dish.  Cover with the remainder of sauce and sprinkle liberally with cheese.
Cover with foil and bake at 400 F for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and place back in the oven to let cheese melt a bit more.  Serve with avocados, tomatoes and sour cream.

In the past I have added cooked chicken but this time we wanted it without.  You can mix it up per your taste.  To make vegan you'd replace cheese with a vegan variety.

Sharing with





34 comments:

  1. I don't buy magazines either, not since the internet!! I found your magazine at the library so will be reading it after this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I used to get magazines from the library but ours is doing away with magazines. Music CDs too, makes me sad!

      Delete
  2. The internet has really spoiled me for magazines. I feel as if it only takes me 15 minutes to read everything I'm interested in, and that I could probably read the same or an equivalent article on line. It's sad for the content producers, but slowly, I think that the writers and online publishers are figuring out how to make it work. Change is painful! But I haven't bought a cooking magazine in YEARS!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I don't care for reading magazines on the internet much and I like to "bookmark" certain recipes so paper works for me. Glad you enjoy the virtual versions.

      Delete
  3. I love making enchiladas -- once you set up the production line, it's so easy.

    After my beloved magazine app was sold to Apple, I pretty much stopped reading them. It makes me sad; I used to subscribe to too many. :) I still buy a cooking magazine a few times a year, but not too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR - they are so easy to make and you can mix it up with many ingredients! I also like thumbing through a magazine so I will on occassion continue to get them as I like their looks. They are mini cookbooks!

      Delete
  4. I've never drunk a Malbec either, but it sounds fantastic. The enchiladas look great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get a few magazines online through Kindle Unlimited. I currently have a Food Network Magazine in the mix.
    We are vegetarians and love Mexican food, so yours is similar to some recipes I've tried over the years. Now I'm craving those and don't have all the ingredients on hand. I'm fascinated by your cheese story, since we don't know much about high-end cheeses. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia, thnak for commenting. We don't know much about the high end cheeses and try them when one looks interesting. This one was worth it. For what it's worth it was only $11 for a wedge so, not too bad.
      I like Mexican as well! If yu are vegetarian I have a hotpot recipe you may enjoy.

      Delete
  6. i will be sad if our library gets rid of magazines! i do love flicking thru real ones. thanks for joining in this month tina. and yes a recipe included is fine. I'm not an eater of cheese sadly (it doesn't agree with me) but it's so interesting to see new (to me) types. take care and cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I was sad about that too. Not everyone has access to online music or magazines and that's the way they are trending here.

      Delete
  7. Those pictures are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that cheese looks divine! In fact, I am quickly going to go and cut some cheese and then continue blog hopping. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elza, I am happy to be an inspiration :-)

      Delete
  9. Everyone giving their thoughts on magazines but I can't find any mention of them in your post!

    The enciladas, cheese and wine look delicious! I have never tried refried black beans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer, I ended up deleting that part of my post. I was thinkning here is all this wonderful cheese and wine and I kept hearing about the magazine. Kinda sorry I shared that!

      The refried black beans are usually in the Mexican food section of the grocery. When blended woth a can of regualr black beans it makes a good filling or spread.

      Delete
    2. I was searching, too, to find mention of magazines! Haha. This post inspires me to reconsider "fancy" cheese. I've never even tried brie!

      Delete
  10. What is it about truffles? That cheese looks interesting...but everything looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Dorothy's Diggin' Truffles cheese looks amazing! I am sure we would have enjoyed it as well. Good luck with your tomatoes. I need to plant some larger varieties next spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The truffle cheese looks fabulous. I love a good Malbec as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I have recently been trying new Malbecs and found I like some better than others. It's a journey getting to know wine!

      Delete
  13. Lol. Add me to the list of those looking for your mention of magazines! :)

    I love Malbecs. I'll bet that one from Argentina is very good. Also love enchiladas, but I have always used corn tortillas. Might have to try them with flour someday, although my husband will say that's a burrito and not an enchilada. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I probably shouldn't have done it but a few comments about the magazines had me delete that part of my post! I didn't realize some people may have seen that prt prior to me deleting.

      Burritos or enchiladas - I'd eat them! I like Mexican but we don't typically go out for any so, I make it at home sometimes.

      Delete
  14. The enchiladas sound good! I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I am going to add enchiladas to the list of dinners for next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, it's an easy fix for a Mexican meal :-)

      Delete
  16. Your enchiladas have my mouth watering, they sound so easy. I'm with Marg, they are going on the rotation. And that was so nice of the cheese counter girl to give up her treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, thanks so much. That was indeed a nice thing the cheese lady did for us. She was excited about that cheese! I hope you are well.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........