Saturday, April 22, 2023

A coyote and fox stopped by to see the home improvements :-)

Weekly update


Wildlife /  Last week, when I looked up from my coffee to stare out the kitchen window,  I saw a large older fox trotting around the yard. I know we have a fox den on the property. Years ago I stupidly put food out for a while so I could watch them in the evenings.  I highly recommend you never do this. Took awhile for them to stop coming by. This one must have been passing through.

The next day I saw a coyote skirt the yard close to the woodline.  We hear coyotes often in the evening but rarely see them, especially that close and in daytime hours.  Happily I haven't seen another as we walk quite a bit and we don't want to startle one another.


Florida's division of emergency management decided to send out a test at 4:48 a.m. !  I was startled awake by the shrieking from my charging phone.  The next day an article appeared in online news stating it was a mistake to send out a test warning this early in the morning.  I have disabled the alert feature on my phone.

I noticed Sue at My Quiet Life in Suffolk had the same experience. I thought it might just be Florida and was surprised she had the same thing happen in England, same day. Huh.

The house updates may be viewed HERE


Next project is putting plants in under the windows. We meandered around Esposito garden center where Loki saw three cats roaming the store and made notes on the sort of plants we want to purchase. Update: we have started planting daylilles and Arizona Sun Blanket. 

Reading / I finished Lisa Jewell's newest book None of This is True which will be published August 8, 2023 in the U.S. Goodreads sent me an advanced readers copy - thank you!   (Click on book title link for review)



Linking up with

23 comments:

  1. Foxes live in my daughter's neighborhood in Virginia, and walk around in daylight. You didn't say specifically why or how they became pests when you fed them, and I am curious what happened.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, we were sitting outside one evening and saw a large male coming through. He came by at the same time the following few nights. Close to the woodline but far enough away from the house. We nicknamed him Seamus . Anyway, I thought I'd put out some leftover bread/pasta for Seamus. He came by and ate, then two nights later brought a timid smaller fox with him. This went on for a few months, the two of them, arriving together grabbing some food and heading back into the woods. Then a third came along with them.

      The other issue was I fed them so regularly around the same that I saw one show up near the "feeding area" and sit like a dog, staring at the house. That's not a great thing for wildlife to depend on us. Eventually they were emboldened to come up to the backyard gate. I slowly weaned them by feeding three times a week until I stopped altogether. Seemed cruel to cut them off suddenly.

      There had been reports of a few rabid foxes in our county and agressive behavior so it was best to keep our distance.

      Delete
    2. That all makes sense. I misunderstood and thought the foxes had actually done you some harm, when the fact is that you were concerned with them, not wanting them to become dependent.

      Delete
    3. I was naive and glad they are not dependent on me. What if we moved? They could be shot by the new owners, especially if they had chickens. Also, not too far from us there have been bears knocking over trash cans and I definitely don't need to attract bears!

      Delete
  2. We used to have all kinds of critters and farm animals come onto our property when we lived next to the Withlacoochee Forest. I love your doorway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, thank you! It's a quuite a change in the looks and we like it.

      Delete
  3. My son and his family wanted to live in the country, but they were upset about the intrusion of raccoons (the raccoons ate my son's chickens) and other animals into their lives in the country. Now they live in a wooded area where they see far fewer animals, and they are happier.

    I'm glad that you enjoyed Lisa Jewell's latest book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, the raccoons became emboldened by the feeders and came up to the fence withon feet of us. I like looking at the wildlife but I should never have fed foxes on purpose! Jewell never lets me donw but I will say I have enoyed a few of her other titles more.

      Delete
  4. Ooooo I love foxes and I would love for them to visit me! Although maybe not all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We get foxes here along Lake Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, we have red and gray foxes. The red ones look very feral and the gray ones look like cuddly stuffed animals.

      Delete
  6. We have foxes in the wooded area between our house and the neighbor and I do enjoy watching them. I do remember when you were putting food out for them. They get brave so quick. There's something so creepy about coyotes. We hear them all the time but I don't see them too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, the foxes do indeed get too brave and familiar quickly. I like hearing the coyotes in a pack and they get close at night but seeing one in the daytime so close was a surprise!

      Delete
  7. I heard about the Florida alarm thing! And I think it'd be neat to hear coyotes, but yeah you probably don't want to get TOO close lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, it's very cool hearing them howl! Ugh, the alarm was startling and I disabled the feature.

      Delete
  8. We still hear coyotes and occasionally see them, but there don't seem to be as many around since the island flooded during the hurricane... no complaints from me. We had foxes up in NY, but have never seen them here. Your front door looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I didn't realize the island had coyotes. I wonder if they'll ever return. Thanks about the door! Once the plants are in I'll put up more photos. Thanks for the recommendation for the book The Latecomers!

      Delete
  9. Ha ha that would be me, putting out food for the fox and coyote. I just love animals so much! I want them all to come and cuddle up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer, I like looking at them for sure!

      Delete
  10. What a terrible test warning! It would scare people half to death. And it doesn't give one confidence if they say it was a mistake. yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll just take my chances in case we are at war or something. We have hurricane supplies, no tv feed so it would be a surprise!

      Delete
  11. Foxes and coyotes occasionally visit our property, too. When we were more avid gardeners, we liked that they tended to keep the deer away! Now, we've pretty much given up on the garden and just enjoy the deer.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........