Thursday, May 04, 2023

Bean Burritos #vegetarian

I haven't posted anything foodie related in a bit and thought I'd update.  This blog was heavily food related when I started it in 2008.  As I usually forget where I left a hand written recipe, this blog serves as a backup when I want to find it. For that reason alone I will never delete this blog - recipes.

Anyway, today I am sharing a simple bean burrito meal.  If you are short on time this simple five ingredient dish is perfect.

Here is the magazine photo below. 👇  It looks very pretty unlike my usual presentations.  Plus I can't properly roll a burrito to save my life.

Served with a salad and sliced avocados and you have a very filling lunch or dinner.



This was one of my first attempts.  Looks like I smeared cheez whiz all over it.  I did Not!


In case you can't read the recipe from the magazine shot here's what you do....

In a large bowl mix a 16 ounce can of refried beans, 1 cup salsa, 1 cup cooked rice and 1 cup shredded cheddar.  One time we used the traditional brown beans and the next refried black beans. Both are good.

Preheat oven to 375 F. Place tortilla on a plate and spoon roughly 1/3 cup of bean mixture near center and roll up. I suck at rolling them properly so good luck to you!

 Spray some Pam in a 13x9 inch baking dish then arrange burritos.  Cover with remaining 1 cup of cheddar.  Cover with foil and bake 20 to 25 minutes.
That's it - simple.

Tip:   The second time I did this I made the bean mixture and prepared/baked only four burritos.  It's just the two of us and these are better freshly baked than reheated. We can only eat two each as they are filling.  The remaining bean mix was ready for another meal the next night.



24 comments:

  1. I love burritos but have never had a vegetarian one. This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, it's an easy dinner and fairly healthy!

      Delete
  2. It doesn’t look like you smeared Cheez Whiz all over! It looks delectable! I am having my parents over for a small Cinco de Mayo party tomorrow, just my husband, myself and I. I am making enchiladas, and pico de gallo, and black beans and rice, but I will surely save your recipe for a future dinner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellezza, thank you. I love enchiladas and haven't had them in a while. Sometimes I make them with chicken, other times black beans.

      Delete
  3. Yum! I'm not very good with folding burritos, so I usually make enchiladas or quesadillas. They're basically a vehicle for guacamole, so it doesn't matter what they look, does it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious! I'd enjoy a dollop of sour cream and more salsa and guac with it.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I did add sour cream and I love the avocados on the side.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a good one t otry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great and easy recipe, which I needed for tonight! You could always add in a bit of meat too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claudia. You can add anything and make it different each time.

      Delete
  7. I am with you, I go to the blog for recipes all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, I use my blog to look up things when I am grocery shopping all the time.

      Delete
  8. Yum! I think I would replace the beans with chicken because of my weird texture issues but these look really good! Anything covered with cheese is always a win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I have used chicken as well. Good!

      Delete
  9. I have another couple of series for you, In the Dark BBC based on Mark Billingham's books (love them) and Silent Witness which has about 12 seasons! Also I LOVED Shadow Line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I love your sugeestions and keep a notebook of movies/books for my future searches. Am going to check them out now. We grabbed season two of Bloodlands but are starting another series called The Closer. Hoping to see Bloodlands before I have to return it. The first episode of The Closer had an unexpected twist.

      Delete
  10. Ooo I never thought of finishing them up in the oven!!! Maybe that's why mine are never "right". I'll give this recipe a try. Where's my grocery list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer, the nice thing about the oven is you can go do something else while they are heating!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the recipe! I've been stuck making tacos for too long ... so I should try burritos instead. good idea.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........