Friday, January 30, 2009

Fajitas!

This recipe is from Cooking Light magazine. I picked up an old copy from the local library off their sale table. You never know what bargains you'll find locally. I added extra red pepper to my version. Adjust spices to your personal taste.

1 pound flank steak
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. garlic powder
1/8 black pepper
1/8 red pepper
Use whatever size tortillas you prefer. 10 inch or 6 inch.
2 cups sliced onion
1/3 cup of green pepper, red pepper and yellow pepper EACH, sliced thin
1 tablespoon lime juice
sour cream

Slice the steak into roughly 3/4 inch pieces going against the grain
Toss the steak into a freezer bag with all the seasonings.
Shake it and knead it lightly so the spice covers the steak.


Slice the vegetables - you can use any combo that suits your taste, more or less of a particular item. Same with the spices. Add more red pepper if you like it spicy.<

Heat some vegetable oil in a grill pan or fry pan. Add steak and veggies, saute for about 8 minutes or until it's all soft.

Stir lime juice in, toss.

Heat tortillas if you like them warm. Serve the steak mixture with tortillas and sour cream to top off. I also served cheese quesadillas.

Goes well with beer. It's a very hands on meal that gets messy as the juice runs from the tortilla.

7 comments:

  1. I love fajitas - beef/chicken/prawn/I don't care just bring them on. Simon likes them to have a dollop of guac but I prefer just slices of avacado with the sour cream. I am going to try them with lime juice next time.

    p.s. don't you think the messiness is the best thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah - messiness makes it a fun meal. I actually never thought about the avocado...I'll try that.

    Last night we had a very good relish, Doug made it with tomatillas and papaya, and he grilled Mahi Mahi. Good fish. I have pictures to post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite foods! I like that you used all three bell peppers; this recipe sounds delicious and not too complicated :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sophie - I like the colorful aspects of all the peppers and they all have slightly different tastes as well.

    I just checked out your site - you have some great looking recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........