Friday, November 04, 2011

Farmhouse Baked Eggs with Cheese and Potatoes

This was my first week back to work after two weeks off for vacation. That was hard......to come back to an In box filled with paper. Makes me realize I could walk away and never miss any of it......if the financial opportunity presented itself. (big sigh)

So...comfort food...that's what I want to talk about. Or just stare at is more likely.




This is from my Food Network calendar which I have been neglecting for months. There just isn’t a place in my office to hang it that is convenient. So I tear off the pages with recipes that I think look good and haul them home.

You may think our kitchen would be a good place for this calendar but we have a very nice black and white calendar of castle ruins and haunted looking places in England, Ireland and Scotland. I wish we could just run away sometimes and get a pub breakfast before exploring one of those ruins. I really do wish that.

Anyway, here is the original recipe from Food Network (I cut it down to 4 eggs and reduced the other ingredients. It’s just the two of us)

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 large eggs
1 cup extra-sharp farmhouse cheddar, shredded (about 4 ounces)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a large, well-seasoned cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally until tender and brown, about 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper, and remove from the heat.

Push the potatoes aside to make 4 evenly spaced shallow nests and break 2 eggs into each. Bake until the egg whites are cooked and the yolks are still runny, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese over the eggs and continue baking until it just melts, about 1 minute more. Serve immediately.

With a nicely browned slice of toast, butter glistening (I love toast), it's an easy and hearty breakfast.



Cooking with cast iron has advantages. It imparts a different flavor than an ordinary frying pan, is super versatile and you have a one dish meal to boot. Love it.



Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........