Saturday, March 07, 2015

Beating the Lunchbox Blues

This is a cool little book that gives you ideas for lunches from leftovers. Ok, that sounds like a no-brainer....you just cook extra food or take what ever is left, right?



That's an obvious plan and one we practice quite a bit. But this book will assist with some other ideas for combining leftover meats and/or vegetables to make a completely different dish. There is a bit of humor in the book and I like that. The author talks about the packed lunches he made for his children and the questions and comments they had about his taking photos of their lunch. A different perspective.

What we did with a roasted chicken was make two different meals for lunches during the work week. Some of the leftover chicken was chunked and put into a gumbo. Now this is a hearty lunch for cold weather. Tastes good too :-)




Here is another dish. Behold a chicken and rice dish with extra broth to keep it moist. I added a wee bit of BBQ sauce to mine.



We have leftovers 98% of the time. Saves money and it's a healthier alternative to restaurant food.

What sort of lunches do you pack during the week?

9 comments:

  1. I can't identify those fuzzy green things in your gumbo... please help?

    Using leftovers creatively is really a skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae! The green blobs are breaded okra. They give a crispy texture to the gumbo. I just toss them on top of a brimming bowl 😊

      Delete
  2. We are so bad at using up leftovers! I could use a book like this to help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With just my hubby and I at home we usually have leftovers and I have learned to be quite creative - one days ham may be pea soup the next day, or left over grilled chicken becomes soup or stir fry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, I don't toss very much and can usually find a use for leftovers! Soups or casseroles work well.

    Sheila, that's great! It's thrifty too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a tumbledown lunch recipe - make leftovers out of the leftovers so nothing is wasted.
    Interesting article in yesterday's Guardian Food though - what to do from the local corner shop if you forgot lunch completely! http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/food-and-drink/all
    I read the article when you came on my travels to London this weekend ;o)

    Mrs L

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah here is the actual article - http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/series/the-lunch-box

    The last one made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link, off to read it now! Love your London journey, great photos 😃

    ReplyDelete
  8. London was great T - we walked in the sunshine, drank ale, ate really good food in awesome places! Loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........