Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Poached Sea Bass and Mahi Mahi with Viognier
{two meals with a Cuban twist}

What a week so far. The amount of rain we've had makes the grass grow taller ...too fast!  It's a lovely green though.  We'd like to move away from the swamp here....yeah, I know I have mentioned it a few times.    I think our time frame to relocate may move up from 4 years to 3. We shall see how it all goes.

If I win the Lucky Money lottery Friday I am almost certain we will be living in another state sooner than planned.   So let me not grouse about weather or health or broken air conditioners or any of that. Let me share two pretty meals.

This is a poached type sea bass, Cuban style.  Fair warning to all, sea bass is expensive!  I had no idea it was almost $25 a pound.  I also need to remember to read the recipe fully before I shop.  Once I read the recipe again I realized I need about a cup of wine to poach the fish.  (Back out to the grocery store again)   This was good but I think I prefer fish grilled rather than poached. (Grilled version coming up).  For what it's worth, we had a Dr. Loosen Riesling with the meal and while we liked it, we aren't up for spending $40 on a bottle of wine very often.


seaBass

There was enough if the sofrito mixture leftover from the sea bass meal that I hated throwing it away.  I froze it as we decided to try it on grilled fish a week later.  No freezer burn as it was a short time frame in the freezer.

Doug grilled Tile Fish and we served with it maduras, black beans and rice.  Perfect summer meal.  Recipe will follow if you'd like to try it too.

mahi1

Here is a Viognier to round out the meal.  Crisp and refreshing.

mahi2

Sea Bass Cuban Style

Ingredients
2 TB olive oil
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onions
2 TB minced garlic
4 cups, seeded plum tomatoes
1 1/2 cups white wine
1/2 cup sliced green olives
1/4 cup drained capers (I left these out...cause I didn't have any)
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
4 6 ounce sea bass fillets

Directions
Heat olive oil in large skillet. Saute onions and garlic until soft.  Add tomatoes and cook until they soften.  Now stir in wine, olives, capers and red pepper.  Heat to simmer.

Place sea bass into sauce, cover and gently simmer for 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.  

That's it!  It was very good but I think I prefer the grilled fish with this sauce over the poached.  Also, just a note, I cut back on the amount of fish since it's just the two of us.  That means more leftover sofrito but you can put it over a rice dish or use it with another fish meal as we did.

Coming up will be a post about Rieslings we have tried recently.  It was a comparison on dry and sweet Rieslings.  Probably Friday or Saturday for that little journey.


I am sharing this with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.





11 comments:

  1. As I said before, I'm not a big fan of fish. Although... there's a small restaurant near where I live named Catfish Johnny's (in Lake Panasoffkee) and I love all the types of fish I've tried there. They also have other foods but I usually get the fish of the day. Johnny is a terrific guy and his restaurant is really interesting. I think you and Doug would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The price explains why I have never cooked sea bass. But for a special summer meal...well, maybe! It looks magnificent.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-perfect-bread-recipe-and-its-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't had sea bass in ages! I would prefer the fried to poached also.
    Fish is generally expensive around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was an expensive meal, between the fish and the wine! We don't seem to get any sea bass here, at least not that I've seen. Maybe just as well, at that price.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband absolutely loves sea bass, but I have never made it for him. He always orders it when we go out. I am not a fan of fish...The sea bass is expensive

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tomato and onion sauce must be just perfect for the fish. I like to keep a jar of capers around for such moments -- we love the bit of flavor they add.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We like Viognier too. Must cook more fish.... Cheers from Carole's chatter

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sea bass was expensive but I think we would get it again sometime. It's not that special to spend that kinda money in a regular basis when e can get mahi. Thanks for the nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a sea bass fan, but I do love a good mahi mahi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've talked about trying to include fish more in our diet but I'm kind of intimidated because I really don't know what to do with it. That's interesting that you preferred it grilled to poached. Will file that to keep in mind when I finally work up the courage!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Diane on the sea bass vs. mahi mahi. I also prefer grilled fish to poached, but I do make a mean poached salmon.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........