Thursday, May 09, 2019

In My Kitchen - the May edition


This month's In My Kitchen allows me to highlight some of the good quality vegetables I  can shop for at an Asian market in Tallahassee.  I didn't bring all of these home but we tried quite a variety of beans, sweet potatoes, scallions, tomatoes and Chinese eggplant.

mk4

This produce is usually better than what I find at the local market.

mk5

We'd never had the Chinese eggplant but I surely do love it on the buffets so, we gave it a whirl.

mk1.jpgstir2

These oils and condiments were already in the pantry and we put them to use.

mk3

Here is the end result and it tasted very similar to the offerings at Chinese buffets.  I'd make it again. It looked good in this glass bowl (I think I got the bowl from a thrift shop).  Trying to be greener with using glass more.

mk2

The recipe I adapted may be found HERE, but I tweaked it quite a bit.

chi2

This salad is from scavenging in the fridge.  Best soups and salads come out from those forages.  Here I used butter lettuce, some baby spinach, cucumber, chopped yellow bell pepper, grape tomatoes and a bit of rotisserie chicken.  This was hauled off to lunch as I am still dragging myself in for a bit longer.  While I enjoy lunch I prop up my Kindle and read.

The life of a Government Drone.


chi1

Sharing with:
Beth Fish Reads for the Weekend Cooking event
Deb at Kahakai Kitchen (check out her Taco Soup)
Sherry's Pickings for her In My Kitchen series.

11 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of eggplants but I've never tried Chinese eggplant. Is it the same texture? I love the look of all the produce at the Asian market. There's something tempting about lots of gorgeous produce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great fresh market! I love eggplant in any cultivar, but my husband, alas, only tolerates it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine - the Chinese sort are less bitter as they have fewer seeds, I only recently read that.

    BFR - It's a good one, I like the outdoor farmer's markets too but this place is consistent. Maybe your husband would like this variety of eggplant? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That salad looks so good! I love veggies and would rather shop somewhere miles and miles away to get quality then a few miles and get things that won't last longer than a day or two. I recently bought glass storage containers so I get toss all my plastic ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi tina
    thanks so much for joining in this month. i love eggplants so this dish looks a winner. all that produce looks fresh and tasty too. hope you have a great month. cheers sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful produce!! Wish we had an option like that here. One of the few things I miss about being in NY is shopping at Wegmans... we'll be there in a few more weeks though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't useed Chinese eggplant for a while... hmmm... Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was younger I worked as a teacher for a charity organisation for Chinese immigrants and the Chinese cook would make us wonderful lunches, her family ran a market garden and she would bring in bags of fresh vegetables and I was introduced to a whole heap of Asian vegetables and fruit that I probably wouldn’t have tried otherwise.

    Enjoy your experimenting.
    Shelleyrae @ Book’d Out

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love eggplant especially the Asian varieties which I agree, tend to be less bitter. Your Chinese eggplant dish looks amazing, as does the salad. Thank you for sharing with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally concur---the best soups and salads (and omelets) come from a fridge forage. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........