Sunday, May 12, 2019

Indian Cucumber and Tomato Salad for I ♥ Cooking Club


The theme for May's spotlight dish at I Heart Cooking Clubs is Indian cuisine.  My first thought was Tandoori chicken or a curry dish but I went with a simple salad.  Diana Henry's recipe and column is posted at The Telegraph so I grabbed it there. 

She says this looks like an ordinary salad but it's fresh and punchy.  Must be the chilli and cumin.  Certainly smells good when you are heating the cumin.





We had plenty of lime on hand for the G & T hour.   Really need to cut back on those but it's a refreshing hot weather, patio kinda drink :-)

Indian cucumber and tomato salad 


6 red tomatoes, chopped into small pieces

   1 cucumber, peeled and diced
  4 radishes, cut into matchsticks
     ¼ red onion, very finely chopped
      torn leaves from 8 sprigs mint
    15g (½oz) coriander leaves, very roughly chopped
    2 tbsp lime juice
     1½ tbsp olive oil
       1 small green chilli, halved, deseeded and very finely chopped
      1½ tsp cumin seeds
  plain natural yogurt for drizzling

Easy Toss Together
Put everything except the cumin seeds and yogurt into a bowl. Toast the cumin seeds in a dry frying-pan for about a minute – you should be able to really smell their aroma – and throw these in. Mix everything and season. Drizzle with a little plain yogurt and serve.


This is a Diana Henry recipe printed in The Telegraph.  I wanted to get this linked with Deb in time for next week's Souper Sunday as I will be camping and probably unable to post!


5 comments:

  1. This sounds so refreshing for warmer weather. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salads are great sides with all the fresh veggies available now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks fabulous! I love Indian food and I love cucumbers and fresh tomatoes. I'm so excited that fresh tomatoes are coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cumin so much--definitely trying this one. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of toasted cumin going into a salad. This is different and unique and I love it, Tina! You just keep going on with the g&t's. They make everything taste better:) Happy camping!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........