Wednesday, January 01, 2020

Happy New Year! Let’s start with Jambalaya !

Happy New Year to all. We have certainly had a hectic end to 2019. There has been some good and bad. Actually the bad is more of an unfortunate circumstance because we will all recover from Aja’s torn cruciate ligament. Wallet included! Her surgery went well and her recovery is great for a 17 year old dog.



I haven’t made any resolutions this year, enjoying being newly retired and feeling like a bum with income. Doug heard that phrase recently from another retired guy....it fits the bill :-).
I have some reading goals, maybe try the family history research again and hoping we can travel more.

This year I’d like to hook up with more online cooking events so I’ll start by sharing a Jambalaya for I Heart Cooking Club. I saw a Jamie Oliver recipe for it and just adapted it to our tastes.


2D3516C2-E2D7-4181-9D6D-7EA920BA3720

This is a variation of a Jamie Oliver recipe I found online HERE.

My version is to cook sausage and  then set aside. Add chicken thighs and cook about 5 minutes each side, then remove. Now sauté onion, garlic, bell pepper until softened. Tip in a cup and a half of long grain rice and stir through. Add a little more than 3 cups of chicken broth and stir. Add a can of chopped tomatoes with the juice. Nestle the sausage and chicken into the rice mixture.

Cover your Dutch oven and simmer on a low heat, stirring occasionally so the rice doesn’t stick. After 15 minutes toss some cut okra in the pot. Oh, I also used oregano, 2 bay leaves, smoked paprika & Old Bay.

Sharing with I Heart Cooking Club And Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking event.

11 comments:

  1. Jambalaya seems like a great start for New Year's cooking. Have a great 2020, and enjoy retirement.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good, I haven't had any Jambalaya for a very long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! I've never made jambalaya. Glad Aja's recovery continues :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have had such a positive outlook throughout your end-of-2019 troubles. I am glad they have all been just circumstances through which you only have to persevere. Here's hoping 2020 is as easy and satisfying as your jambalaya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad Aja is recovering -- that doesn't sound fun.

    Happy New Year. The jambalaya looks amazing!

    We've been doing genealogy -- it's very engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Aja! I'm glad she's recovering and things are settling down. I love jambalaya and prefer to make it myself because I have a shrimp allergy and don't quite trust it if I don't know for sure what's in it. Enjoy your year as a bum with income! I love that description.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news that Aja is recovering well. I need to put jambalaya on my dinner plan before the month is out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jambalaya sounds delicious right now! I am glad Aja is doing well with the healing. I am excited to live vicariously through your retirement whatever you do! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love a good jambalaya. A great start to the year! My resolution is to get that stack of filing taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always feel sorry for animals having the cone! Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad that Aja is recovering! I am a big fan of jambalaya. Looks delicious. Bring on the Old Bay. Holy cow, I just love that stuff.

    Retirement = sleep in, read all the books, smooch all the dogs, eat all the food. Sounds like paradise.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........