Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Kong: Skull Island for Food 'n Flix
{Black Bean Gnocchi Soup & Monkey Bread}

The movie host at Food 'n Flix this month is Camilla writing at her site Culinarary Adventures. There isn't a a set movie rather any movie filmed or set in Hawaii. That opens up many choices.

My first thought was the movie Pearl Harbor with Kate Beckinsale or Midway, a newly released movie which we own. Browsing at the library and also using Camilla's suggestions (see her site) I chose Kong: Skull Island.  Yeah, don't ask me why I thought that was a good idea.  Food references or scenes were basically non existent.   But it was partially fimed in Hawaii.  

The one food scene I noticed was a soldier eating a can of C-rations. It was either beans or beef stew.  Oh right, there was a scene with a hotdog and a beer later on.

Activate creativity-mode for a representative dish!


CCEE8244-8392-43EC-8961-6F2A89D76395 

I knew I didn't want beef stew so a black bean gnocchi soup was created.  I don't have a recipe but I'll tell you what I did.   I sauted an onion and several garlic cloves in olive oil.  Once the onions were soft I added a can of black beans and chopped tomatoes. Mix this up well then add broth, salt, ground pepper, roasted garlic powder and basil.  I used roughly 4 cups of broth as I like it soupy.  Now add gnocchi and simmer.  

Here is a cheeky little nod to the star of the movie - monkey bread.  There was a scene with the helicopters flying deep into the jungle and suddenly a very irriated Kong arises and glares at the copters.  A soldier asked, "Is that a big monkey?!"  So....monkey bread.

It was more than we needed for a household of two - wish my son and his parmour were near us so we could share.


1CBE547B-A1C2-4435-B901-6E5DAA058719

It went a treat with coffee.  Mmmmmm...... cinnamon and sugar and hot bread.

AC801A4C-0894-4200-AD9C-08A4A041F90E 

 Camilla's announcement post is HERE. Join in if you can, it's fun to see what the participants come up.  Camilla lists numerous films to choose from. 

Sharing with





22 comments:

  1. Black beans are surprisingly versatile! I made some recently to put into tortillas. Mostly like yours until you get to the broth.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, we love black beans, as you say they are so versatile. I use them in enchiladas too.

      Delete
  2. Such a fun menu Tina - I love your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! That monkey bread is addictive, had to freeze some before we gobbled it all.

      Delete
  3. Your black bean creation sounds interesting! I haven't thought about monkey bread in a long time but it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made monkey bread a couple of years ago. It was so delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, it's too easy to eat too much of it though. I am baking more now that we are stayimg in. Again. Between the virus and the heat, yuck!

      Delete
  5. This made me laugh! Love how you got the monkey bread idea. I have all the ingredients for the soup .... humm I may have to put this on my meal plan next week. (Never mind the 90F temps)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR, I make soup in any weather but I am usually inside with the AC when it gets very hot and humid. This soup was pretty good.

      Delete
  6. A+ for creativity! I love black beans AND monkey bread, but have black beans more often, unfortunately for my sweet tooth...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laurie. You had to think hard about food inspiration for this movie. We also have black beans quite a bit. Mmmm

      Delete
  7. I did a black bean soup too this week. I love them too. I think they gnocchi addition is excellent and I like how you found inspiration from the movie! ;-) Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I like your black bean soup too, funny we were on the same page.

      Delete
  8. Black Beans soup with gnocchi is an interesting combo, but i am admiring you cake mostly - looks good, i've never had monkey bread so intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monkey bread is so good and I haven’t made it in years! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I had to freeze some, or we'd eat it all at once. Two people do not need that much dough in a few days, haha!

      Delete
  10. Great idea and I love it when a recipe is thrown together only to become a keeper! Monkey bread looks delicious. Your creativity shines!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, so I probably won't watch the movie, but I can't wait to try your monkey bread. Thanks for joining me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camilla, you'll love the monkey bread, it was fun sorting through the many movies set and filmed in Hawaii.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the chuckle. I have never seen Kong Skull Island and I probably never will but I am going to try that black bean stew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, I can recommend the stew but not the movie!

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........