Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Slow cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken and another loaf of Outback bread

In an attempt to keep the kitchen cooler this week I tried out a new slow cooker recipe.  It wasn't a complete hit as the chicken dried out but now I know for next time, cook it in 5 hours instead of 7 or 8.  

It's quite easy and we liked the way the potatoes and garlic came, all flavors mingling together for hours.  I would make this again but as I said, I would adjust the cooking time.
Ok, I did heat the kitchen for a short period to make a loaf of Outback Bread...totally worth it.
 
8C1CBFC8-FB61-4287-A3EB-6F3454AB84F1

Here is a pictorial of some of the steps I took for this slow cooker meal.
The chopped potatoes with seasonings, garlic and two fat slabs of butter.

17354923-F6F8-4D75-A993-84246C7D5BD3 

 Then add chicken and more garlic, nestling atop the potatoes.

456413D7-CC94-4DF8-9DE0-96FFBE3A3F83 

Here we have it plated.  I also made a squash casserole and cold pea salad for accompaniments. The Outback bread went very well with this meal, it's so malty and hearty.


91C86098-677C-487D-BA63-902CBA143A01

Here is the recipe below.  If you are interesyted in the cold pea salad or Outback bread I put links in above.


Garlic Parmesan Chicken - Slow Cooker style
INGREDIENTS
3 tbsp. 

extra-virgin olive oil, divided

2 lb. 

bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs

Kosher salt

Freshly ground black pepper

1 lb. 

baby red potatoes, quartered

2 tbsp. 

butter, softened

cloves garlic, chopped

2 tbsp. 

fresh thyme

Freshly chopped parsley

2 tbsp. 

freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving

Directions

  1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper, and sear until golden, 3 minutes per side. 
  2. Meanwhile, in a large slow cooker, toss potatoes with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, butter, garlic, thyme, parsley, and Parmesan and season generously with salt and pepper. Add chicken and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours, until potatoes are tender and chicken is fully cooked. 
  3. Garnish with Parmesan before serving.

20200627_182735

10 comments:

  1. A delicious meal, I'm sure! My husband bakes all the bread, and he's working on ciabatta today. I haven't used my slow cooker for a while, since we are buying and consuming much less meat.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, now I want to try a ciabatta bread. I haven't made that one before. I am lucky I still have some bread flour but I am woefully low on rye flour. A good rye loaf would be nice today. The slow cooker is helping me keep the kitchen a bit cooler.

      Delete
  2. That WHOLE meal sounds delicious and worth duplicating. I haven't used my crock pot in forever but we've been cooking a lot more with chicken thighs lately. Mostly grilling. I'll make a mental note to try this entire lineup soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, we like the thighs best as they don't tend to dry out as much. Well, except this recipe! Less cooking time next go round. I just did another slow cooker meal with refrigerated biscuits and it came out very well. I will share!

      Delete
  3. We too have been very conscious of using the oven during this heat wave. I've been using the slow cooker (although it does through off some heat) and the Instant Pot. Looks like a wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judee. Right now the easy options are the best.

      Delete
  4. Living in a condo (downsized in 2012) I don't worry about putting the oven on as we have AC. Would have been different if we were still in our house. I do love to cook so I don't find that a difficulty. I am making sure that we are still very well stocked as I do believe we will have a second wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I think there will be a second wave as well. We have AC too but the slow cooker, or Doug grilling, keeps it cooler inside.

      Delete
  5. I have bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs defrosting in the fridge, with no real plan for them, so the slow cooker recipe is perfect! I have everything but the fresh thyme. I’ll substitute fresh oregano and maybe crumble some feta on top when I serve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, feta sounds great, that would make a nice addition. Recently I made another slow cooker meal, chicken and dumplings,mit was a hit. Posting that this week...hopefully.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........