Tuesday, March 09, 2021

Stephen Foster Cultural Park

Last week of February we took the RV to Stephen Foster Cultural park in White Springs Florida. If you are in that area I would recommend this as a great park with much to do... IF the buildings are open...so check on that first. 



It's located off the Suwannee River so you can rent canoes or bring your own.  This time the river launches were closed due to the high level of water and flooding.  Safety issues.  We walked to the river a few times, noticed how fast it was flowing and how high.  One of the benches was underwater.




The Suwannee river

 
This bat house was quite active.  When we walked up we heard them squeaking.




This house was magnifcent.  The grounds are lovely to walk about and I wish the buildings had been opened.  Maybe soon that will change and we can go back and see the house and craft village.



I was peeking in the windows of the front entrance and snapped this shot of the door opposite.  I'm a sucker for the old door or window shots.


Gardens surround the house and immediate area. Azaleas and camelias were in bloom, lots of small flower gardens were being tended and I thought it was so pretty.


Love this lamp.




The Carillon bells were silenced by an electrical storm some back and they are working on restoring it.   It gave bell concerts four times a day.


You'll feel you've stepped back in time when you wander about the old buildings. 

More door photos. 


Chandeliers n the live oak trees 


We are looking forward to going back and made reservations for October.  As I said, if you have a canoe or kayak you can float down the river but they rent them if you'd like to do that. We had a few campfires but ran out of wood so, next time we will prepare better.

You can see Doug in the upper right and Loki hanging out by the firepit.  Loki looks good in his new red harness, in my opinion :-)


Next trip will be River Junction in Georgia, an Army Corp of Engineer park with good ratings. It's near a river but not on it as the one we like at Lake Seminole.  

That's all I have for now. Camping update and still waiting on the vaccine.....



10 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for unique doors and windows, too. Looks like a nice spot to wander around. Of course, now I have this stuck in my head:

    Way down upon the Swanee River,
    Far, far away.
    That's where my heart is yearning ever,
    Home where the old folks stay.

    FYI, Stephen Foster purposely misspelled it as "Swanee" to fit the melody.

    Too bad the Carillon bells weren't ringing. I love the sound of those!

    Enjoy your next campsite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, now that song is stuck in my head too! Great park, we are going back soon.

      Delete
  2. Your photos are really pretty — I’d love to see that park, but it’s really far from where we live. Also, we aren’t doing any camping these days, so it would not probably work for us. I love hearing about the slowly developing goodness of your puppy.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, when traveling is safe again they have cabin rentals. Its very nice, no pets allowed in the cabin area but we bring our own accommodations.

      Thank you, Loki is a work in progress but its worth it for the love he shows.

      Delete
  3. I think red is Loki's color, too! The pictures are great, Tina - looks like a fun, relaxing trip. I especially like the bat house, the bell tower, and the chandelier in the tree! I guess they leave them up, even during storms? Seems like it would be so much trouble to take them down and put them back up so often. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, they are renovating the area around the house but I think those chandeliers stay up. They have cabin rentals too, closed right now but I think they'll open up again soon.

      Delete
  4. Love the photos, and yes Loki does look good in his red harness ♥

    I love doors and windows too and one of my old photo blogs was full of them.

    I've been trying to get some of my family members to go camping with me, maybe soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, Loki has a few different looks. With his black bone shaped ID tag, the vest against his white chest he appears to be wearing a tux!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great place! Love your door pictures. A chandelier in the trees? No that's classy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've added this park to our list, but we'll be sure to take your advice and make sure the buildings are open before we visit!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........