Saturday, March 20, 2021

Sunday Salon updates

It's been an interesting two weeks here. Let's start with the food roundup then I'll get to life updates.

Food / We enjoyed Papa Rellenas which I made from leftovers as well as the usual grilled meals and veggies.  For a new item in the kitchen I pulled from my folder of recipes-to-try. This is a Giada De Laurentiis pasta recipe called Baked Orzo with Peas and Fontina Cheese. 


The pasta dish could be a vegetarian main dish but we served as a side with grilled chicken marinated with olive oil, rosemary and garlic.  I know this will not appeal to those who do not like mushrooms but we are big fans so, I always add extra. The Marsala in this dish gives it a unique taste which I think blends well.


Reading / We went camping about 10 days ago and I forgot so many things. Despite my list, I forgot our tablet chargers and books. I did manage to read quite a few books prior to the trip and after we returned.  Netgalley sent me A Place Like Home by Rosamunde Pilcher which is a collection of fifteen short stories and The Vines by Shelley Nolden. In hardcover I had In Five Years by Rebecca Serle, a loan from the library.

Here is a nice shot of the sunset at Lake Seminole. The skies in the evening were clear and brilliant with stars.  Sunsets were consistantly beautiful and colorful.


Every time we camp there I think I want a home on the lake. 


Watching / Justified is a series we saw years ago and it remains one of our favorites.  We are up through season two now. A six season set for $30 was a good deal. 


Life events / Last week I had to have a tooth pulled, an upper molar. Did you now the top teeth have three roots and the bottom only two?  Well that tooth hung on for dear life,  broke and caused all sorts of trouble. After I got home we left for camping so I will blame my "trauma" for the reason I forgot so many items.  Despite always using a list.  Yeah...

Vaccine shots! Yes, we both received the Pfizer vaccine on Friday and will have a followup in three weeks.  This is the beginning of a normal life again.  Where shall we go first...I think it will be for Fat Cuban sandwich.  But that is weeks away.

Kitchen and bathroom remodel - not yet, but we did have a contractor come in and measure.  We are waiting on an estimate. If we have it all done we may need to live in the RV temporarily.

That's it and I hope you all are healthy and happy where ever you are.

Sharing with
I Heart Cooking Club (there were loads of peas for the green theme!)






21 comments:

  1. I love orzo and mushrooms, so I'll take a peek at that recipe. Yum!

    It's been a long time since I read anything by Rosamunde Pilcher (loved The Shell Seekers) and I have Coming Home on my TBR shelf. Maybe this will be there year to finally give it a read!

    We loved Justified, too. Timothy Oliphant is great, isn't he. We loved him in Deadwood, as well.

    Sorry about your tooth! I have a molar in the far back of my mouth that has a crack and needs a crown. I should get it done before we start traveling again in our RV. I would hate for it to break while on a trip. Glad you got yours fixed before you headed out, in spite of forgetting your chargers. Ugh. It's so frustrating to forget something like that when you're going to be gone a long time. But isn't it nice to have the RV as a second home for things like remodeling or hospital stays for a spouse? Ours has certainly come in handy in that regard.

    Yay for your first jabs! Science wins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can both both our vaccines starting tomorrow.
    Love mushrooms. Have a tooth that could use a crown, just don't want to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teeth! What a pain! You sound like you reacted like a champion. Last time I did something like that it took me a couple of days to get up off the couch.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sunset shots! I'm so sorry about your tooth. My husband has had to have a lot of work done on his teeth over the years and it is trauma! Hope you are feeling better from that now. And congrats on getting your vaccine shots! It's a sign of hope, those are. I can't wait until I can get mine in the next few weeks, hopefully.

    I'm hoping for some camping this summer as well or at least late summer/early fall. We seem to always forget an item or two as well when we go camping. It's just inevitable. Makes it more exciting, right? lol.

    I hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful shots, I bet it was lovely and quiet.

    That’s good news about your vaccine, my husband should be due his second one in the next few weeks though there are rumbles of vaccine shortages.

    Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love to camp. I can't talk my husband into camping any more (he says it hurts his back to sleep on the ground) but at times I think of getting a tent for myself and going for a couple of nights. Beautiful photos.

    The baked orzo sounds so good. I like the idea of putting it with chicken.

    In Five Years is nice choice for this time. Light is good, I think.

    Congratulations about getting your vaccines! That is wonderful news, Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love Justified! I'd watch Timothy Olyphant in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are not campers but I would eat your pasta dish as my main vegetarian dish. Looks fabulous with the mushrooms

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes for vaccines!! My husband got his first yesterday, and I go tomorrow. Pfizer as well. :)

    I would love a lake house. So peaceful and beautiful on the water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I enjoyed Justified too.
    I love camping too but it’s been an age since we went, I’m glad you had a wonderful time.

    Wishing you a great reading week, and happy vaccination:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for vaccines! My husband has an appointment in a week or two and I'm so excited. Sorry about your tooth! That does not sound fun. I had to have two upper molars removed a few years ago and they knocked me out for it for which I'm very grateful. The Rosamunde Pilcher sounds wonderful. I love her short stories though they can be a bit sappy. They just make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will have to look for A Place Like Home, I enjoy books of short stories. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love mushrooms and that pasta dish looks delicious!

    I thought I was the only person who could forget things despite having a list. I went to the Dollar Store the other day SPECIFICALLY to get eggs and eggs were on the VERY SHORT LIST, which I looked at at the end of every aisle yet somehow I forgot to get the eggs.

    Camping always sounds like so much fun except that I'm terrified of bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a productive week! So glad you were both able to get the vaccine. Sorry, to hear about the tooth. I just got my first crown and it wasn't pleasant.

    Love the orzo dish with peas. Sounds like a great side dish or main for about any meal - and bonus, would be easy to eat if you were sore from dental work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh, I'm so sorry about your tooth! No wonder you forgot things for the trip... that must have been traumatic. I'd rather do just about anything other than going to the dentist but, as soon as I'm fully vaccinated, it is time to find a new one here.

    I loved so many of Rosamunde Pilcher's novels back in the day. Last summer I reread The Shell Seekers and it was every bit as good as I remembered. Hoping to read Winter Solstice this year. I didn't know she'd written short stories, too.

    Hooray for vaccines! My husband had his second dose and I'll get mine on April 8. Two weeks later, we will eat outdoors at our favorite restaurants... can't wait! I hope you have a good week, Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  16. a filling fell out on the weekend and i am too scared to book a dentist! but tomorrow i must! i think most of my teeth are falling out of my head at my age. my hubby has a chronic illness, and i keep telling him to check if he can get the vaccine but he is stubborn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love mushrooms ! And what beautiful photos, no wonder you would love to live near the lake. Your tooth incident reminds me of a former tooth of mine - still shivering thinking about it. And yay for the vaccines !

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've covered so much ground in this post. None more important than a plan when life resumes normalcy. Orzo and mushroom go so well together in a pasta dish. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We love a good orzo dish, I'm going to pin this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That mushroom orzo dish sounds awesome. Good luck on the renovations. We're both fully vax'd. Though we are still cautious, the stress level has gone way down.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm behind on my blog reading and commenting (obviously), so first, sorry for the late response...

    I'll be getting my second vaccination shot this week, but don't have any big plans afterwards because of it. A Fat Cuban sounds good. Is that a regional thing? What's on it?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........