Thursday, July 08, 2021

Chicken Pasta Caprese

Here is a one pot meal I want to share from the Skinnytaste cookbook.  It's easy and  flavorful. We got home from our daily trip to the park about 6:30 and this was on the table before 7:15.  That includes the prep work of chopping and boiling the pasta as well as my usual distractions of looking at a book and messing about with Loki.





Chicken Pasta Caprese

1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I used boneless thighs)
1/2 tsp. dried basil
salt, per taste
ground black pepper
cooking spray
9 ounces dried penne pasta
4 TB extra virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, coursely chopped
2 1/2 cups halved grape tomatoes
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
4 ounces mozzarella cheese cut into cubes

Heat large non stick skillet. Season chicken with dried basil, salt and pepper.  Spray the skillet with cooking spray and add chicken.  Cook until cooked through on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Cook the pasta according to package directions then drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.

Meanwhile increase the heat in the skillet and add olive oil and garlic. Don't burn that garlic, keep stiring until slightly soft then add tomatoes and salt and pepper. Reduce heat and stir for roughly 8 minutes until tomatoes are soft.

Aff the pasta into the tomato mixture and stir.  If it becomes too dry add some of that saved pasta water. Add chicken and toss well, remove from heat then add fresh basil and cubed cheese.

One Pot Meal

Note: as with any recipe I use it as a guideline.  The salt and pepper were not measured and I use it liberally.  I forgot to thinly slice the fresh basil and frantically tore it and tossed it in at the end.  As for garlic, I used more....because I like garlic.

You could use different pasta such as penne or rotini or ziti, depending on your taste.  Even gluten free pasta would work here.

Sharing with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.




8 comments:

  1. I've made this recipe, too. Skinnytaste never disappoints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Adding this to my monthly menu plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I have the SkinnyTaste cookbook buried in one of my cookbook piles and I need to pull it out and go through it again. I'm looking for ways to use up tomatoes as my neighbor just brought me a ton. I can only eat so many in sandwich form!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely eat pasta but that sounds and looks so good. I'll try it and see how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re-arranging the ingredients in a classic like caprese salad sounds like a neat idea, and your pasta looks very delicious. I wonder what other classics could be modified into other dishes.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness this looks good! And I bet it'd be delicious cold the next day too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy, caprese is now a featured flavor beyond salad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Skinnytaste! And this looks like winner.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........