Saturday, January 08, 2022

Goals for January
(reading, watching, listening and kitchen stuff)

It's Dry January for us and I can report, so far so good :-) Okay, it's only nine days into the new year but I am pleased with how things are going. Besides the sobriety, here's what else is going on here.

Foodie goals for this year are, as always, to prepare healthier food and limit the sugar intake.  We all go off the rail with healthy habits now and then so I'm not proclaiming I'll never eat sugar or takeaway.  I just want to be more mindful this year and hope to stick to it. 

Real food and moderation won't require deprivation.  Dark chocolate is stocked here and will be enjoyed now and then :-) This ought not count as a recipe but - here is Ina Garten's simple Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil salad.  I drizzled balsamic vinegar and olive oil on the tomatoes to add some taste.  It really isn't tomato season here - it needed something.




Books, Movies and Music 

I am participating this year with a nonfiction reading group and my first book is about Stonehenge. We've been fortunate enough to visit Stonehenge twice and it was amazing.


Next up is a medical memoir called Trauma. Also started a series new to us called 19-2 about a police department in Canada.  We like it so far.



Doug recently bought some Eva Cassidy CDs and wow, what a voice.  She has a tragic story, dying at 33 of cancer. Read about her HERE and if you have a chance, by all means look up her singing Fields of Gold.  Her voice is amazing.


I am hoping to stay active and particpate with the online cooking and reading groups I've gotten to know over the past decade. We will see how well I stick to my intentions.  

Hoping you all are safe, healthy and happy!

Sharing with

I Heart Cooking Club

Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking

Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sunday






24 comments:

  1. Caprese salad is definitely a classic: no doubt it's better with fresh summer tomatoes, but it still works all year as you say. I wish you luck with your cooking resolutions!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mae. So true about the tomatoes.

      Delete
  2. We *finally* finished all the sweet treats from the holidays and are looking forward to more nutritious eating in the weeks and months to come. I'll return to baking by spring, but for now I'm happy to take a break. You're book club sounds great and I hope you continue to let us know what titles you're reading. I'll have to check out Eva Cassidy -- I *love* the song "Fields of Gold."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR - so far I am missing pizza more than sweets but we are hanging in for a few weeks before indulging. Oh, I thinnk you will love Eva Cassisdy's voice.

      Delete
  3. I love your eating philosophy! Over indulging is just as hard as under indulgence with a binge factor. Good healthy food in moderation with a course of sharing with friends and a nightcap of a walk is just about right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, so far it's been nothing but healthy vegatble laden meals so, doing ok so far :-)

      Delete
  4. I love all chocolate except Mocha, and dark chocolate is on the top of the list. That salad looks so good! I've never heard of Eva Cassidy but I clicked on the link and listened to Stormy Monday. I agree, she had a great voice, and so sad that she passed at such a young age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, you can't go wrong with dark chocolate.

      Delete
  5. Your salad looks delicious! I look forward to seeing your contributions to Weekend Cooking over the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a caprese salad or sandwich and will look for some heirloom tomatoes tomorrow at the grocery store. Thanks for the inspiration!

    I've been to Stonehenge once and was utterly blown away. Such a remarkable place.

    I haven't listened to Eva Cassidy in years, but I love her voice. Songbird, Autumn Leaves and Somewhere Over the Rainbow are a few of my favorites that she sings so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I ought to search out the heirloom tomatoes, maybe that would help. Agreed, Stonehenge is amazing. If you've ever been to Newgrange in Ireland that is very special as well.

      I thought of you when I was going to check Homer's record store in Omaha as you mentioned being familiar with them. Hoping they have the Eva Cassidy CDs we can't find.

      Delete
    2. Tina, let me know if you have trouble finding more Eva Cassidy cds. I would be more than happy to send you mine. I'll check and see which ones I have.

      Delete
    3. Les! Thank you for the generous offer but I'd hate to take your music away! We have Live at Blues Alley, Songbird and Time After Time. Can't find any of the others right now.

      Delete
  7. All good goals, Mrs. Tina! I have some of the same goals. Are you on the Goodreads app? I think I'm on there as Kim Tracy (real original as it's my whole name, but you know...)

    Caprese salad is a great way to start the new year! For me, it is all about an excuse to eat the cheese and still feel healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, thanks. Yes, I am on Goodreads but use the version on my tablet. I will look for you!

      Delete
  8. Wishing you a safe, healthy and happy new year. We all share the same food goal of a healthy diet. Top on the list, for me too, is to watch out for the amount of sugar we eat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. (I think my Name/URL comments don't go through on some Blogger blogs, so now I take the precaution of saving them in case they don't show up. Please pardon any duplication if my comment from last night does show up!)
    Good for you with the resolutions! I ate chocolate at work tonight. My willpower is great right up until about 7 PM. Work is stressful right now -- nothing like working in health care, but staff are getting sick, we are shorthanded, we are still holding in-person events and probably shouldn't be, etc. Reading and cooking are still good ways to escape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie - things are opening up in Florida but we just don't eat out, pick up takeaway sometimes. I wonder when things will ever get back the way they were but, maybe this is the new "normal".

      I had to go to approving comments because of spam, unfortunately.

      Delete
  10. You have sound and attainable goals - the best kind! I love Eva Cassidy. We played her version of "Time After Time" in our wedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, we just listened to Time after Time after Time on one her CDs two nights ago. Nice!

      Delete
  11. we are on a more stringent eating plan these days. also have cut the booze to not much at all :-) sigh ... Yes stonehenge is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good caprese salad, no matter what time of year but yes, it does need some pepping up during the winter. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays. The Stonehenge book looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........