Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Greek Goddess Pasta Bake

While I know recipes are abundant online I occasionally like looking through magazines.  Sometimes it's nice to do it "old-school" and once in awhile it's just easier on my eyes to flip pages instead of looking at a screen.

I have found several recipes to try from this Taste of Home magazine and here is the first one.  



This is the magazine photo. Much more appealing than my photo.

 

And here is how my casserole turned out.  Not appealing looking at all :-(  
That said, it was tasty the first evening.  If I make it again I will definitely cut the recipe in half as it's just the two of us.
 

This is chock full of spinach, feta, olives and onions and so, as I mentioned, the first night was good but I didn't think it heated over well. The person who contributed the recipe to ToH magazine stated she takes it to potluck and there is never any leftover.


Note: You could make this vegetarian by substituting tofu or TVP for the chicken.


Greek Goddess Pasta Bake

3 1/2 uncooked whole grain spiral or penne pasta

4 cups cubed cooked chicken breast 

1can (29 ounce) tomato sauce 

1 can (14 ounce) diced tomatoes, drained 

1 package (10 ounce) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

2 small cans sliced olives, drained

1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion 

1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

1 teaspoon each dried oregano and basil

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese 

Preheat oven to 400°. Cook pasta according to directions, drain into large bowl, combine pasta chicken, tomato sauce, tomatoes, spinach, olives, onions, green pepper, basil and oregano.

Transfer to a 13 x 9” baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheese.

 Bake uncovered until heated through and cheese is melted, about 25 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with oregano or basil basil.

Sharing with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.



9 comments:

  1. Taste of Home has some good recipes. I'd give this a try but, like you said, cut it in half. Magazines are a nice change of pace (laughing at your "old school" comment) and I'll keep an eye out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I didn't think it heated over too well. If you aren't feeding a bigger group absolutely cut the recipe donw. Lots of good ingredients though!

      Delete
  2. Your pasta looks fine. It's way too easy to make more than one needs.

    I keep a stack of 20 to 30 year old magazines in my bookcase in case I need to look at something like that. Of course there are also cookbooks, which occupy the rest of the space in my 3 foodie bookcases. Yet I very often go online in search of a recipe, using the online versions of magazines. It's been ages since I bought an actual new one.

    Best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I use the extra pasta in leftovers though...you're correct, too easy to make too much! I also have magazines saved with many good recipes.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you, though have been breaking open actual cookbooks! Those magazine dishes look very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't even been buying magazines anymore. I used to love the ones in the supermarket as you check out, but they went from $1.99 to $4.99/copy over the past 5 years. I do still leaf through them while I'm waiting to check out. They always did have fun recipes like the one you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love our freebie magazine from the supermarket but it is rare for me to buy one now. I did just throw a lot of those old ones out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to share this one with my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been big on food magazines but I love cookbooks which is considered old school as well! I've had good luck with the Taste of Home recipes I've tried though and I think I have several of their cookbooks.
    The Jenny O'Brien series sounds perfect for me. I've been drifting towards books that are either not mysteries or aren't cozies but I still don't want something super violent. And 6 books is a good size series.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........