Sunday, July 17, 2022

Sunday Salon
{Books, wine and cookery}

Sunday Salon time.......It's very hot here - we stay in quite a bit as it's like walking into a dog's mouth when you step outdoors. Our walk starts early before the humidity makes the air feel like we're pushing through syrup.  But inside time means more time to read and try new recipes.  The bright side of summer heat :-)

In the kitchen / I tried a new recipe called Greek Goddess BakeI've also made oatmeal in the slow cooker.  The slow cooker oatmeal is set up overnight so that's a handy thing. Waking up to breakfast prepared is very nice. 2 1/2 cups water and a cup of oatmeal.  Set the slow cooker to low before you go the bed.



I add a tiny bit of milk and raspberry jam, sometimes a handful of blueberries. We use Doug's ancient slow cooker as it's a smaller size, much better for the oatmeal than the bigger modern one I have.  This lovely avocado green device is about 48 years old and still works a treat!

Reading / Have I ever mentioned how much I love my Kindle.  It's very old and I hope I don't need to replace it anytime soon as then I'd need a new cover as well. It's great to have on RV trips. Anyway.......I liked Jenny O'Brien's final book in the Gaby Darin series called Cold Grave by Jenny O'Brien.  That's book 6 and the last one.  


Currently read Matt Haig's book How To Stop Time.  I liked The Midnight Library Better, so far.


Sipping / Sometimes Pinot Noir is too weak for my taste but this Jadot.....it's wonderful.


That's it for me this week.  Still playing Wordle and comtemplating picking up crochet again. What is going on in your world?  I'd love to hear about your reading list.




11 comments:

  1. I've read four of Jenny's books so far, waiting for the other 2 to come to the library. Took a photo of that wine, we need to shake ours up. Our go to has been Bread and Butter for Friday night's steak. Otherwise it is John's homemade bottles. That crockpot looks better than my new one. The settings have rubbed off and all they said was too bad it is more than a year old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, That's awful about your new crockppot. They ought to have taken it back! I didn't know the jenny O'Brian books would end the seies at #6, the author stated that in a blurb after I finished the bok. Thanks for the tip on the Bread and Butter label, have not tried that one.

      Delete
  2. I love oatmeal and should try the crockpot method. I'm the same way with Pinot Noirs. I prefer the full body of a Cab. I'm still playing Wordle and the mini NYT crossword puzzle. It's just challenging enough, but doesn't make me feel like an idiot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, the oatmeal is super easy this way. I can recommend. I ruined Wordle for Doug today (monday) by exclaiming the word I was trying and then said, Oh wow I got it! Ugh :-)

      Delete
  3. My original crockpot went PFFFFT electrical sizzle one day, so mine is slightly newer than the one in your photo. I think we are satisfied with microwave oatmeal (made from unprocessed oats in 5 minutes). But your version looks good.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, we have the microwave variety as well. This is nice to wake up to though.

      Delete
  4. My mom had a crockpot like that when I was growing up and she still had it when she passed. Hers was orange. I had one too but don't remember the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I think the older appliances lasted longer. I have not seen an orange slow cooker!

      Delete
  5. My first crockpot, received as a wedding gift forty-four years ago and looking very much like yours, was my favorite gift. I learned to cook using recipes for a crockpot.

    I have a Kindle that I use exclusively for trips. It's much better than taking along heavy real books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like oatmeal in the crockpot, too, but mine is too big for it to cook overnight... should probably get one of those cut little ones! The recipe I use most is for Banana Nut Oatmeal. We all love it!
    https://thelemonbowl.com/slow-cooker-banana-nut-oatmeal/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our garage freezer was apparently made in the late 50s (was my grandmother's) and I'm terrified that it will one day eventually die because I know that I won't be able to find an appliance that's nearly as reliable! I love my Kindle! I did have to finally get a new one not long ago and I like that I could pick a color but I don't feel like the battery life is as good.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........