Mojito Marinated Swordfish with Avocado chopped Salad

Family Circle magazine had my full attention when I saw the recipe entitled Mojito Marinated Swordfish.




Here is another meal which (when ingredients are available in fridge and pantry) can be on the table in under a half hour. The tropical flavorings of the meal and gorgeous colors of the onions, avocados, mint and celery get you in a festive mood. We ought to have had mojitos to go along with this but opted for a cold Chardonnay.

Chopped. Yes, the avocados ought to have been riper and that will make a difference next time this is prepared.



Here is the recipe. For what it's worth, swordfish has a hint of a sweet taste all on it's own. Usually we just brush it with olive oil but this was a good variation.


Ingredients

Swordfish

1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons lime zest
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 pounds fresh or frozen swordfish, thawed if frozen

Avocado Chopped Salad

2 avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
3 ribs celery, trimmed and sliced
1/2 small red onion, chopped

These simple ingredients combined meld quite well.



Directions

1. Heat grill to medium-high heat or medium-hot coals.

2. For Swordfish. In a medium-size bowl, combine lime juice, mint, 1/4 cup water, sugar and lime zest. Whisk in oil, salt and pepper until blended. Pour 1/3 cup of the marinade into a resealable plastic bag and add fish. Marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, prepare Avocado Chopped Salad. Gently stir together avocados, celery, red onion and 1/3 cup of the remaining dressing.

4. Remove fish from bag (discard marinade) and grill 6 to minutes depending on thickness, turning once.

We also tossed some pineapple spears on.



Transfer fish to a platter and drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve with Avocado Chopped Salad.



I will be sending this to CreamPuffs in Venice for her roundup of Magazine Monday. From Family Circle magazine, June 2012 issue.

12 comments:

Velva said...

Tina, this looks really good. A really nice summer dish for the patio.

Velva

Janel Gradowski said...

This sounds so tasty & healthy!

Sue/the view from great island said...

You had me at 'mojito'!

~~louise~~ said...

Sword Fish? What's that? I'm sure that would be the reply I'd receive if I asked for Sword Fish at the local Weiss Market, lol. (you being a Pennsylvanian, I'm sure you understand:)

However, I absolutely adore Sword Fish and if I get my hands on any, per chance, I am so making this recipe!!! You can take that Mojito to the bank!!!

Thanks for sharing, Tina...

Le laquet said...

That sounds absolutely delicious and I imagine you could eat that salad with lots of things!

Rita said...

I can't get ever how adventurous you are in your cooking lately. Swordfish and avocado blows me away. I have never had sword fish and never had mojitos. I really feel like an old fuddy duddy. But I might just have to try that.
Rita

Chris said...

Swordfish is my favorite...wahoo steaks are up there too.

Pierce said...

Thank you all so much. It certainly is a colorful meal.

Chris, I don't think we've tried Wahoo (off to Southern Seafood to check it out)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

OMG - I'm drolling all over this. Like you, I tend to usually just brush swordfish or tuna with a lick of olive oil and a sprinkling of flaky sea salt, but I love the sound of this - can't wait to try it. A nice crisp New Zealand sauvignon blanc on the side and I would be very happy indeed.

Sue xo

Pierce said...

Sue, we really like New Zealand wines and that sounds like a good match!

Katerina said...

This is definitely a patio meal! I always try to find new ways to cook fish! This one is going to be marked!

Joanne said...

That swordfish sounds so majorly fresh flavored and tasty!

Shrimp Paella and a Tomato Cucumber Salad from Beth Fish Reads

Am I ever glad it's Saturday! I want to put this past week behind us and head into the weekend with with positive things, good things.  ...