Saturday, May 09, 2020

Simple food - roasted chicken and veggies

This week I have been slow to get organized. I have been reading a bit more, some excellent books as well as a few disappoinments which were abandoned. Life is too short and I have way too many books I'd like to read coming up.

The bookish ventures kept me from updating the food/life blog so...here I am on Saturday afternoon linking in with Beth Fish Reads last Weekend Cooking event. You read that correctly, in case you haven't been to visit at BFR's site recently.  She is handing over the hosting baton to Marg.
 Marg at The Intrepid Reader will be taking over hosting so we can all visit one another's kitchens and dining events. Yea!

On to the fare in my kitchen.  Nothing fancy, simple roast chicken quarters with veggies.  A one pan meal with minimal cleanup.  The veggies we used this time are those petite potatoes from Trader Joe's, a few Yukon Gold potatoes sliced, baby carrots and a large onion roughly chopped.

  E92C7B11-C4CA-4323-967C-92616749E3AF

This was tossed with olive oil and rosemary, salt, oregano and roasted garlic powder. It was nice to pop that roasting pan in the oven then drive Aja to the park.  We had a side of green beans and managed to wait on wine until afterwads.  What?? 

2A628550-ED5B-4695-AD65-1A4F5FBE8E79

Usually we enjoy a glass of wine with dinner but more recently we have opted to open the bottle afterwards.  We have bread and cheese and sometimes chocolate.

The reason for this is waiting on the sunset.  We  hope to have a glass once the sun starts setting when we are sitting outside.  It's so nice to sit out and watch the sky turn from blue to amber, listen to the birdsong as the changing of the guards from cardinals and towhees to owls and whippoorwills.

C5CA1976-9D8B-423C-832D-17945FD0B035

Right now the weather permits this but soon, when my northern friends are setting up their porches for outdoor dining and reading, it will become incredibly hot here.  It runs us inside with the humidity and heat.  Now is our time and we are spending as much time out as we can.

Hoping to update a bit more frequently and maybe participate in Sunday Salon.  There is a movie post for Food 'n Flix I have in the works for Midnight in Paris.  Stay tuned for a Julia Child dish to go with that event.

Wishing good health to you all, hoping you are all safe and healthy.

Sharing with Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.

15 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I have two sort-of chicken quarters for tonight, but I’m going with an Asian flavor profile.
    I’m looking forward to your planned posts!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mae. I like the idea of Asian flavors. Hoping we can do a stir fry or something like that soon.

      Delete
  2. Loved reading this post! We love simple roasted chicken and vegetables, too. I'm impressed that you're waiting for sunset for a glass of wine, but that really is the most pleasant time. I'd be tempted to have my dinner wine and then a sunset wine, too, lol! Good thing I'm usually walking around sunset ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wine is such a great compliment to the food you serve but I have to admit saving it has been working out well. There have been a few occassions where we have cracked another bottle open but....that's generally a mistake!

      Delete
  3. This post makes me dream of a simpler life! I woke up to snow this morning, but we've already started getting the deck ready for summer. I love the idea of holding off wine until sunset ... but I'm also with JoAnn, in retirement, do both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I'm loving retirement! Can't believe you had snow so late in the year, hoping you can get on your deck soon and enjoy better temps and birdsong. I think wi e tastes better when you sit outside. :-)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you are having some nice relaxing times with all of your books! I've been reading more than usual (I have no distractions except cooking) Most of the books I've been reading focus around WW2 but they've all been good! It's just about sunset, maybe a glass of wine would be good about now.. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall the book selections have been good and I truly am enjoying reading whenever I want. Well, when the dog doesn't guilt me by staring anyway, ha.

      Delete
  5. Your roast chicken looks delicious!

    I look forward to your future contributions to Weekend Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marg. I will linkup with you next week. Loved the looks of your cinnamon buns you posted.

      Delete
  6. Hope you are well and safe too. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have some book hookups for you later next week!

      Delete
  7. Roasted chicken and veggies sounds yummy. I love simple foods like that. Saving the wine to have with the sunset sounds so relaxing and like such a nice treat to end the day. I'm glad your reading is going well and I talked myself into abandoning a book that I wasn't enjoying this week too. I finally realized that it makes no sense to keep reading a book I'm just not enjoying - especially when I have so many books that I do enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly where I am, Katherine. I have a book review to set up but now I am engrossed in a my Pilcher novel. I've had a bit of a medical issue lately too so I am not exactly racing around baking and reading and blogging.
      Thanks about the chicken, it's a comfort meal for sure. And easy!

      Delete
  8. I don't think I've EVER lived anywhere that I could enjoy the outdoors in the summertime. Here in Arkansas by 11am the humidity has got us running inside for the relief of the AC and it doesn't really go away after dark. It was still around 90F at sunset last night so no enjoying a glass of wine on the porch for me. Oh well, at least I can enjoy my morning coffee and breakfast on the back porch, right?

    I love a sheet pan meal and yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........