Thursday, May 26, 2022

Vegetarian fare for Weekend Cooking

This week I prepared a few vegetarian dishes which I thought I'd share with Weekend Cooking. I've been slow updating either of my blogs, some hectic days with the camping, trading our RV, trips to Dothan Alabama, etc.

Anyway,  here is a dinner of grilled Beyond Sausage, a squash casserole from a Southern Living recipe found HERE and a cucumber and tomato salad from our garden :-)

The Beyond Sausage wasn't bad but we prefer it in a Hotpot. (Highly recommended in the Hotpot which is also vegetarian)



The squash casserole uses yellow crooknecks and has much cheesy goodness.  Not vegan as it has cheese and eggs. We recently discovered it's good cold as a leftover dish.



This is such a simple salad with a seedless cucumber and Goliath tomatoes.  I drizzled some Boar's Head oil over the veggies and placed in the fridge for a bit.


The trick of keeping the stem side down on a cooling rack appears to be working for the tomatoes.  Of course now I have something else on my countertop but it's worth it.

In the past I haven't had too much luck with tomatoes but I think it was the location where we'd planted them.  Previously we had them in a raised bed out in the field where they had full sun for over 8 hours.  It just cooked the plants.  This year we moved a few plants closer to the house where they had only 5 or so hours of direct sunshine.  Seems to have made a difference.

Sharing with






12 comments:

  1. Nice looking dinner! Monday, I wrote a post about Impossible and Beyond vegetarian meat substitutes. I think they help me to avoid eating meat, which I avoid for ethical reasons. I'm not trying to be a vegetarian, just to eat less meat.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, just read your post. Very informative and will lookout for the Imossible brand.

      Delete
  2. It all looks good! My oldest son, his wife & kids were vegetarians for years and then went vegan. I was actually surprised at how good the meat was. I love cucumbers and tomatoes. I've been wanting tp try them together like that but haven't so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, a homegrown tomato is so good and flavorful. Once those have died out at home I will need to look for afarmer's market or roadside stand.

      Delete
  3. My mom always made cucumber and tomato salad -- so thanks for making me smile! Nothing beats fresh tomatoes straight from the garden (or farmer's market). I haven't tried very much of the fake meats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR - verry happy to make you smile :-) It's such an easy salad. The fake meats aren't a regualr staple and we recently read a good article about them.

      Delete
  4. We have reduced our servings of meat drastically over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, between health reasons and price that's a great idea!

      Delete
  5. We like the Beyond Burger Sausages. I usually sauté peppers and onions and cook it with the sausages. Despite being vegan, they still have a very high fat content.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, it's best not to have it too often for sure!

      Delete
  6. I love the cucumber tomato salad. Fresh grown tomatoes are my absolute favorite. It's still a little early for us but I'm going to be hitting the farmer's markets soon. I've grown my own but the last few years I've taken a break and I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your salad with Souper Sundays. It looks delicious, as does that squash casserole!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........