Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Chicken Philly Stir Fry and a bomb on Cheddar Chive Bread

I tried two new recipes this week. One was a hit and the other was perplexingly not good at all.  This cheddar chive bread from Dorie Greenspan should have been amazing.  How can a loaf filled with so much cheese and a good quantity of olive oil, milk and eggs be dry? The inital bites were a bit tasty but overall - dry. I'm not making it again, tossed it to the squirrels.


This Philly chicken stir fry was a big hit.  Definitely making it again.  Instead of chicken breast I used boneless thighs.  Here is my photo of the finished product below.


I'm including this photo (below) so you can see how pretty this is plated and photographed.  Mine didn't look as ....polished :-)  If you read the recipe I wrote out and compare to the magazine you'll see they used only 8 ounces of chicken.  I doubled it as it's for two of us.   Also, I served it over rice.  Seriously tasty and will be prepared again.





Philly Chicken Stir Fry

1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons aus jus gravy mix
2 cups sliced mushrooms 
One and a half cups sliced onion
One and a half cups sliced green bell pepper
A little bit of garlic powder
Roughly 16 ounces of raw boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces ( I used boneless skinless thighs)
Pinch of salt
a few slices of Provolone cheese


In a small bowl, dissolve corn starch and gravy mix and 1/2 cup water.
Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Add mushrooms, peppers, onion and garlic powder. Cook and stir until partly softened, about five minutes.
Add cut up chicken and salt. Cook and stir until veggies have softened and chicken is fully cooked, about four minutes.

Reduce heat to medium low. Add gravy mixture and cook and stir until gravy has thickened, about one minute.

Plate stirfry and immediately topped with cheese slices. I served this over rice.

Doug isn't crazy about green bell peppers, at least in this quantity, so I just used extra mushrooms and onions to make up the bulk. So if you don’t like mushrooms, as an example, just add extra bell pepper.

Sharing with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.





7 comments:

  1. That looks very good. I'm not a fan of mushrooms so would leave them out. I'd also use red bell peppers instead of green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, you can use your favorites to make it to your taste. We are big fans of mushrooms so I bulk up there.

      Delete
  2. How odd that such a promising recipe would result in dry squirrel food! Well, your blog is called “squirrel head manor.” So I guess a squirrel is involved once in a while.

    best…. mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I thought the same thing. It had so many moist ingredients. There are indeed a good quantity of squirrels around here.

      Delete
  3. That stir fry looks amazing! I love mushrooms, I love green bell peppers.

    Too bad about that bread! So not even a good slathering of butter would help it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer, thanks! The stir fry is worth preparing. Recommended {-)

      Delete
  4. The stir fry looks delicious though of course I would leave off the mushrooms. That's so disappointing about the bread. It sounds like it would be absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........