Sunday, September 04, 2022

The Weekly Update with music, books and a very good casserole

 Books and blogs / I'm just finishing up Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll for Cook the Books.  This is the selection for the foodie-book club. If you'd like to join in there is still time.  

Another Year of Wonder was very kindly given to me by Deb at Readerbuzz.  For more on that nonfiction check out her post HERE. After reading the beginning I have decided to start with September (the book is divided by the months) and follow along each month.


Watching / These are both fun movies. Focus was a good movie starring Will Smith and Margot Robbie as scam artists.  Lots of good dialogue.

I learned about High Fidelity through a post called Read it Before you Watch It. As Doug & I both like music, and this was about a record store owner, I bought the DVD instead of the book by Nick Hornby.

We grew up when music stores consisted of racks and racks of vinyl albums. It was always fun to go to look at the musical posters on the wall, listen to whatever was playing and flip through racks of albums. Loved it. There is quite a bit of music played during the movie. 


Kitchen stuff / This chicken and rice casserole is easy and full of veggies.  We had it for a dinner and two lunches. Definitely a good throw together meal if you are getting home later from work or just need a quick meal after juggling kids, homework or hectic life.

I finally took a good food photo :-) Behold my new spatula!


Chicken and Rice casserole
Food Network magazine 

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Two cloves of garlic, finally chopped
For scallions, sliced
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken OR cooked and shredded chicken
One cup medium grain white rice
One plum tomato, chopped
Salt and pepper, per your taste
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup sour cream
1 cup diced dill Havarti cheese, about 4 ounces
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, use fresh!

Preheat oven to 425°. Melt the butter in a large oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add the broccoli, chicken, rice, tomato, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.

Whisk the chicken broth and sour cream and a bowl, pour into the skillet and bring to a simmer. Stir in half for each of Havarti and Parmesan. Cover tightly with a lid or aluminum foil, transfer to the oven and bake until the rice is tender which should take about 20 minutes.

Sharing with

Deb at Readerbuzz for Sunday Salon

Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking



18 comments:

  1. The casserole sounds like a very enjoyable combination of flavors, though I wonder if the broccoli would be cooked too much. Have a great week!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, the broccoli was fine the first night and then it just blended in, I hate to say tasteless but it wasn't apparent it was a bit soggy. Probably because i cut it into such small pieces.

      Delete
  2. Hey Tina. Thanks so much for stopping by at Impressions in Ink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnneKristy, I enjoyed your post. Totally with you on the social media.

      Delete
  3. I had so much fun with Another Year of Wonder, and I'm happy that you will get a chance to enjoy it, too. It doubles the fun.

    That IS an excellent foodie photo.

    I would love to join in for Cook the Books selection again one of these days when life slows down a little. It's interesting that Alice in Wonderland was chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I am takiing it a month at time, for now. There is so much good information and music that I see myself moving on to other months quickly.
      Yes, Alice in Wonderland has more food in it than I expected. It's a head trip :-)

      Delete
  4. I can't remember if I've seen High Fidelity, but it reminded me of another movie. Have you seen Almost Famous? I think the main character either works in a record store or spends a lot of time in one. I need to watch it again, as I obviously don't remember much about it. ;) That recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I thinkn you may like the movie. The record store scenes remnded me of Homer's in Omaha, so many albums. Have not seen Almost Famous, will chekc it out.

      Delete
  5. Love the colour of the spatula, mine is a boring grey.
    I hope you enjoy Year of Wonder..and it’s the perfect choice for the Reference category ;)

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelleyrae, thank you, it's a silicon spatula and rather thick so it was fine for the skillet meal. Didn't work as well with a lasagna type meal though. I could add that book to reference when I round up!

      Delete
  6. It's time to do something about my boring spatulas! There are so many bright colors and pretty seasonal designs out there... will have to treat myself this week. The dish looks delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn. Publix has those spatulas and spoons in several different colors. Will post some for In My Kitchen this week.

      Delete
  7. I loved Alice in Wonderland and liked the Disney movie version too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee, it's been ages since I saw the movie.

      Delete
  8. I remember High Fidelity. Always enjoy Cusack.

    That casserole looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, I am loving the Cusack movies we have seen. We recently acquired Grosse Point Blank and it was very funny.

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh I LOVED grosse Pointe Blank

      Delete
  9. The Chicken and Rice casserole looks delicious! I really liked High Fidelity though my favorite Cusack movie is Grosse Point Blank which I see you just got. I was not a fan of the Alice book (which I'm still a bit embarrassed to admit) but I love the Disney movie and am so intrigued to see what food you make from it!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........