Saturday, October 08, 2022

Pasta Pompeii, Salisbury Steak and Veggie Stir-Fry for Weekend Cooking

What a week. I was going to include what was going on the kitchen in the previous post,  link up with everyone at once, but I decided the foodie stuff should be separate.

Thanks to all who sent well wishes for Doug. 😘

Here's what's in the kitchen this past week /  Pasta Pompeii is a"recipe" I improvised from a menu at Tour of Italy. This is an easy vegetarian meal made with fresh spinach, Roma tomatoes, lots of garlic and artichokes.  It's a one pot dish.  Well, you need a vat of pasta and the veggies are cooked in a separate pan, then mixed into the pasta.... so I guess it's really messing up two pans.  (Click on the hyperlink to see the steps for this dish)



 This particular All Recipes magazine is very nice.  Apparently it's a reprint of their best or favorite fan recipes and I've found many to prepare. The Garlic Chicken with Honey and Rosemary was very tasty.


I also prepared the Salisbury Steak with Mushrooms and it was so good we are having it again this evening. Recipe may be found HERE.  Weirdly I substituted chicken broth for beef and it was a hit.


Now this photo is of the almost-done-cooking scramble.  I use leftovers from the fridge for a very quick meal.  I saute onions and sliced grape tomatoes. Once they are soft I added leftover rice, then a can of black beans (juice and all). Finally I crack in two eggs to cook slowly.  Add the cheese of your choice, if desired.  It's vegetarian but you can add meat instead of beans if you like.  Any orphan veggies work in this scramble.  It's a great lunch.



We also had an old faithful mac n' cheese as that was easier for Doug to eat the day after surgery.  That's it for the kitchen ramblings this week.  I hope you and yours are well, safe and happy :-)




14 comments:

  1. I like the look of your dinners! As the weather here gets cooler, I’m cooking more interesting-looking dishes too, I think it’s the season for lots of food photos.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae! I am enjoying many of the pot pot meals lately.

      Delete
  2. Awk! I missed whatever Doug is going through. Mr. BFR has started cataract surgery, and that involves a hell of a lot appointments, etc. Anyway, I've been a bit distracted. Best wishes to Dough and I'm hoping recovery is swift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR - Thanks very much. Stitiches come out Tuesday and I know he's looking forward to that.

      Delete
  3. The pasta Pompeii looks really fabulous. It contains everything I love - I will be trying this one. Thanks Tina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, it's an easy dish and if you want to make that stir fry vegan, just don't use eggs or cheese :-)

      Delete
  4. The Salisbury Steak w/ mushrooms looks great. Best wishes to your husband too for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, I appreciate it! Oh yeah, you ought to give this salisbury steak a try. The gravy is wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Yum! Pasta Pompeii sounds delicious and Salisbury steak is always a favorite around here. I'm on the lazy side so I always cook the pasta first and then let it sit in the strainer when I make the sauce or whatever else the recipe calls for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I did that for the pasta dish as well. Everything stays hot so why not :-)

      Delete
  6. That salisbury steak recipe sounds great (as does the breakfast stirfry). I wonder if the sodium content in the salisbury recipe is so high because of the beef broth. My husband suffered a heart attack a few days ago (now has two stents) and is on a low-sodium, heart healthy diet. It's very challenging to figure out what to cook for dinner. Everything has sodium! Hope Doug is feeling better. We're getting to be "that age," aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, Doug is doing well after the stitches were removed and it looks great. I didn't use the beef broth, I did use chicken broth but you can get the no salt sort. A friend had to eliminate sodium from her diet after a heart issue and she also found it challenging. We cook at home 98% of the time so it's a bit easier to control/ substitute ingredients.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear that Doug is doing well. I'll try the low sodium chicken broth.

      Delete
  7. Love Salisbury steak! Might have to make it next week.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........