Wednesday, May 17, 2023

The Kitchen Diaries by Nigel Slater

Currently I am reading The Kitchen Diaries by Nigel Slater.  This features his diary entries and observations month by month.  There are recipes of course and while some are appealing, the seasonal offerings in England are very different from Florida.  

His entry about fat juicy roasted tomatoes inspired me to serve them with lunch. Simply slice large vine ripened tomatoes and place on a baking sheet. I placed parchment paper on the baking pan, sliced the tomatoes fairly thick so they wouldn’t disappear after 20 minutes in the oven.

Sprinkle sliced garlic on the tomatoes, brush with olive oil, push a little bit of Panko on top then salt.

Bake at 375 F roughly 20 minutes. Remove from oven and add feta or mozzarella then back in the oven for 5 minutes.

Here's the result with feta. We had scrabbled eggs with chives and homemade wheat toast.


The mozzarella is a prettier offering and obviously less salty.


For recipes by Nigel Slater check out his column in The Guardian.

Sharing with:




16 comments:

  1. I love tomatoes so I'll try this for lunch one day with mozzerella. I'm not a big fan of feta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I like both so I added some to each slice.

      Delete
  2. Those tomatoes look fabulous! I've made something similar (years ago!) by Julia Child. Recipe here but yours look better since you use slices rather than half of an entire tomato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I didn't want to stuff a tomato and I do like the recipe you added. Thanks! On a different note, I may ask you about Lincoln as my son is moving there in July.

      Delete
    2. Sure, feel free to ask. We've been gone since 2017, but I may still be able to answer your questions. You can email me at les13scher (at gmail).

      Delete
  3. Oh, I need to see if I can find this one. I like Nigel Slater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, its fun to read through his daily life plus recipes!

      Delete
  4. I love tomatoes, but haven't roasted them in ages! I usually use my aunt's recipe that uses half a tomato, but like the idea of slices. Kitchen diaries can be such fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I've halved tomatoes as well but the slices are my favorites.

      Delete
  5. This sounds interesting and yes I imagine there are some massive seasonal differences between England and Florida! I love fresh tomatoes and am so looking forward to when they come into season here (hopefully very soon). I love the idea of roasting them with feta or another cheese on top. I think I'd drizzle mine with a bit of balsamic glaze because that's my very favorite thing on tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I think I have a brand new balsamic venegar in the pantry. I am going to have to try that as you give it such a good recommendtion. I would have thoought you'd have the tomato season by now but you are a bit north of us so....are you going to plant any tomatoes this year?

      Delete
  6. Man that looks delicious!!!! I love reading diaries so I will add him to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer, he has written a few diary type books and this one starts in January and he talks about his garden and food and guests.

      Delete
  7. Oh I adore Nigel Slater. I love his shows and books and his voice. But not so much with the tomatoes :=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I like him too. I also like tomatoes, obviously.

      Delete
  8. Those look really good. I'm not sure that I've eaten roasted tomatoes except in England and Ireland. I should try them at home, especially when the local tomatoes start coming in.

    ReplyDelete

It's been a good run...........