Sunday, September 18, 2022

Sunday Salon
RV Tales: not for the squeamish


Happy Sunday! Last week I mentioned the massive amount of rain. It had rained Every. Single. Day.  Good news is Espositos made it by early last Friday and the field is cut.

We had to cut our trip short by a day at F.D.R. State Park in Pine Mountain Georgia.  More on that trip HERE if you want an update on a crappy birthday trip.  But then, since that trip and we arrived home - more RV drama weirdness. 

We noticed a bad odor when we were washing it. Later in the day we saw flies buzzing around the back tires. There was a paw hanging out between the wheels!! A PAW! This has to be the most screwed up series of events in one trip ever. Today it's getting dropped off at the RV repairman and he can get the thing jacked up and removed the tires and what I think might be a cat.

On to something more pleasant.........

Local Scenes

A very old house in Havana Florida

Walking around this house is always fun.  They have colorful flags on display now with a 1970's vibe.  I love the one with the dragonfly.

This house was moved here years ago and the people have restored it nicely. First they sold antiques and it was fun to walk through all the old rooms and look at the glassware, furniture, etc.  They have since turned it into a type of wine bar and sell homemade jams and honey and, I guess, some wine.   On Saturdays there are several women who get fairly lit and laugh and talk loud while sitting on the porch.  It's funny.

Books

Alice in Wonderland was the Cook the Books selection for August/September and I made a one-pot mushroom rice dish - click HERE for the recipe.

JoAnn wrote about a Julian Barnes book which stirred my interest in his books again. Several years ago I enjoyed A Sense of an Ending so time to revisit Mr. Barnes with The Pendant in the Kitchen.


Just about to finish up this police/mystery book by Clare Mckintosh.  It's set in Wales and I am loving the plot and dialogue. NetGalley gave me a complimentary copy - yea! I couldn't read at all last week so I am anxious to get back to the plot. 


That's it for me this week.  Hope your week was good.  Linking up with Deb at Readerbuzz for Sunday Salon.


20 comments:

  1. I've read a couple by MacIntosh and enjoyed them. Guess I'll have to add this one. Have you read I Let You Go by her? Twisty & nothing is as it seems. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrie, I am certainly going to look for more by Mckintosh at my library. I finished the book and it had some cool twists. Have not read I Let You Go. Yet.

      Delete
  2. Oh no a paw! That's rough! I hope it gets cleaned and sorted soon!

    I love the pictures of the house.

    I have developed a fondness for books that have food mentioned in them. I think that the description of the food brings the story to life.

    I love visiting Wales so maybe I should keep that book in mind!

    Have a good weekend.

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/18/sunday-salon-21/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, it was most certainly gross. The RV has now been dropped off and I'll gladly pay for it to be cleaned up.
      Love foodie books.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry your trip didn't turn out so well and had to be cut short. A paw! That must have been a very unpleasant find. The Last Party sounds like a good one. I hope you have a better week this week and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LT - it was a horrific find. I wonder if that's ever happened to anyone else before? The Last Party is great, I will be looking for more by this author.

      Delete
  4. Oh no... That does sound like a bit of weirdness and I hope it wasn't a cat. Perhaps a racoon or something... Ah poor you! That's a story to tell for sure!

    Glad you are enjoying your Clare Mackintosh book! Looking forward to you telling us more about it.

    Have a good, paw-free week ahead and thanks for the visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elza, it was indeed a kitten. Not sure how that even happened or if it's ever happened to anyone else before. Mckintosh is a good author and I will be looking for more.

      Delete
  5. Oh no! A paw! Yikes. I hope it's not too gruesome... and sorry t ohear the trip had problems. I'll have to go read that post.

    That place in FL sounds neat. I'd love to wander around there and look at all the sutff, maybe get some honey or jams. The Clare Mackintosh looks good. I think I may have read one of hers a bit ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have enjoyed Julian Barnes's fiction, but didn't especially like The Pedant in the Kitchen. I think I read it in around 2007, so I don't recall the details.

    I hope you soon resolve all the issues with your camper!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I thought that was a newer book by Barnes, ha! I will still get it from the library and try it out. Hopefully the camper will be fixed and de-catted this week :-)

      Delete
  7. A PAW??!! OMG! Hope you get that issue resolved quickly... sounds gruesome! Hope you enjoy Pedant in the Kitchen. It's an older book, but must have been reissued with an audio edition this time around. I definitely share some of Barnes pedantic culinary tendencies but, in my defense, I'm sure it was my training/career as a clinical pharmacist that made me so exacting. I laughed it recognition at some of his dilemmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it was horrific! We thought we smelled something but then we thought there would be flies if something was dead. Hours later - loads of flies! Oh my it was awful. The RV repairman got it out, a cat, and fixed our leak issues in the RV as well.
      I'm looking forward to getting the Barnes book. My son is like me in the kitchen,a little bit of this and that for measurements but his girlfriend is s strict measure the ingredients person.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry about your trip and your RV and that poor kitty...hope everything gets fixed up quickly and that better weekends are ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, thanks so much. It's all repaired now!

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness! What an awful discovery. I'm so sorry that your trip went poorly.

    I'm intrigued with The Pendant in the Kitchen, too. I think I might enjoy it. I need to look up the next selection of Cook the Books. I've done a couple of books with that group and it was fun every time.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, thank you. I hope your trip to Chicago went well. Its good to see your family. The Cook the Books selections have been excellent this year.

      Delete
  10. Oh no on the paw! How awful but glad you were able to get it all cleared out. The Pendant in the Kitchen looks good and I need to add the Claire Mackintosh to my TBR. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, you will love Clare Mackintosh. I'm glad the cat issue is handled and we didn't have to deal with it!

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........